Japanese percussion musket

J-T

This is slightly off-topic, but I thought it might still be interesting to some. I will take this percussion musket to shinsa in Japan later this year, hoping to get a permanent registration.

The gun has only Japanese markings on the base of the barrel, so it could be a Japanese made copy of a Western musket. Sorry, no clear pictures of the markings right now. I wasn't able to see if it's a smooth bore or rifled, at least the muzzle section of the barrel appears to have no riflings. I found a picture of identical weapon in a Wikipedia-article on Boshin war which also suggests a smooth bore gun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boshin_War#mediaviewer/File:Weapons_of_the_Boshin_War.jpg

A Houston-based antique dealer also lists an identical gun. According to them, "in the book The Japanese Matchlock by Shigeo Sugawa on page 38. Mr. Sagawa shows an identical musket. He says is "Sakai made" with short stock and no half cock. This gun is 12 1/2" pull, no half cock and has Japanese prefecture and Meiji Registration markings on the barrel. This is patterned after a Dutch Colonial musket."

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Bolt%20Action%20Rifles/Japanese%20Rifles/Japanese%20Military%20Issue%20Percussion/Japanese%20Military%20Issue%20Percussion.htm

I now have a one-year tōroku by the police. Whether I can keep the musket or not, I was told the cut-off point is 1867. So I hope it was manufactured before the Boshin war. But I'm not quite sure, Meiji restoration markings aren't very promising... The shinsa will tell.

post-4804-14196938392885_thumb.jpg

The other worry is that they will confiscate the bayonet. If you don't need it for shinsa and photos will suffice, I would suggest not bringing it to Japan.

Please post clear shots of the J markings when you get the opportunity. Being a Japanese version will help the shinsa along. Well, it might make all the difference. Better to be sure in advance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..