Muramasa Website

Derek

I have been working on a labor of love for a few months, a website dedicated to Muramasa:

http://www.Muramasa.us

I am fortunate to own a Muramasa katana, but frustrated to find sources to educate myself about his work.

The material available in English is limited. I tried to put together a comprehensive collection of various sources. I intend to continue updating the site as more material becomes available.

I have tried to give credit to all of the various sources, but some I have collected for a long time and may not cite correctly. I apologize in advance for any missing citation, outright errors, or poor grammar!

Please give me your feedback!

Again, this is an educational website, and not commercial.

Thank you!

Great job Derek

I see with your examples they don't have the Tanagabara-gata (fish-belly) nakago which is meant to have been a characteristic of the Muramasa school or was this in later gererations or indeed when they branched of to the Shitahara school?

Peter

Hi Derek,

I think your Labor of Love Created a Fine and good structured Site.

One Thing I Miss is a Short separate Chapter about the Tokugawa related history of

his work, may be also Seen as a Brain Candy for newbies.

Best Regards

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback! Many of you have sent me messages as well. I appreciate the constructive criticism too! I have only included examples that are papered, too keep things easier on me. I will be adding many more examples, and more photos of the blades already posted. I also will start on a section for oshigata, as well.

I will also expand on the Tokugawa section. In my research, I have been surprised to find that the Tokugawa clan may have privately collected Muramasa swords...

Another challenge for me has been the difficult issue of generations. There are many conflicting opinions on dates and number of generations. I have tried to present the various opinions. I will also add a section on shape of the tanagobara nakago.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Hello All,

Update: Just added a papered Muramasa O-tanto / wakazashi from a member here! :clap:

Pictures turned out great. If anyone else has a papered example, please contact me. I will not add names, unless requested. I would guess that more than two of us have one in their collection.

Adding more examples this weekend!

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated website with another example (18 total!)

112 pictures so far. My next project is oshigata.....

Still looking for more examples! (Papered blades, oshigata, translated articles, or anything else interesting!)

Please pm me if you can help.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Added more content lately.  I now have 34 examples, with 250 photos. (Including a ken!)   Please check it out, if you are interested in Muramasa nihonto.

My oshigata project is still in progress.  I have a few, but if anyone has a large sample of Muramasa oshigata, and is willing to share, please let me know! 

I am always looking for more examples of papered swords too.  One of our members was very generous in sharing many photos of his Muramasa.  If anyone else has one, and is willing to share photos, please let me know.  I will keep your privacy.

My Muramasa katana has just finished polish.  I will share photos as soon as I get it home!

Thank you.

• Like 2

Excellent work,love the mystery surrounding Muramasa,and the fear ensued in tokugawa ieaysu being cut by a yari..and so on.

His swords are beautiful like masamunes purity,muramasas mystical evil gives magic to something already magical,the Japanese sword.

Thanks , I enjoyed reading and seeing swords I never hoped to see.

Best regards

Ian Bellis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on my site:

Just added my 50th Muramasa nihonto!   Please check out my site if you get a chance.

I am still seeking more papered examples, if anyone has anything to share, please email me!

• Like 1

I am trying to find out if any Muramasa swords have passed NBTHK Tokubetsu Juyo Token.  Can anyone help me?

I know there are 52 Juyo, and 1 Juyo Bunkazai.

I also see 4 NTHK Yashu Saku blades, all tanto.  Anyone know of any more?

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Hi. Thanks for your interest. I will have the images back up soon. Unfortunately, I have had several problems with godaddy, which basically deleted my photos, then tried to ransom me to rebuild my site. The content was easy to restore, thanks to my personal back up files. Although I still have all of the photos, it is more time consuming to rebuild that area. I will post here first, once complete. Maybe 3 more weeks, depending on my work schedule. Thanks. D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..