Tsuba outlines

kissakai

Hi

I have created an A4 page as a quick reference sheet for various tsuba shapes

I've used Marcus's book, the internet & my own collection for the images

Have I made any errors :shock: , but I do realise there will be variations with the Japanese names?

Also if anyone would help with dates as I would like to reorder the sheet with dates of the earliest to latest examples

As a guide it will good enough for me

The tsuba are numbered left to right then top to bottom

o9h08k.jpg

Grev

Also if anyone would help with dates as I would like to reorder the sheet with dates of the earliest to latest examples

Grev

Hi Grev,

It not that simple. Overall shape alone cannot be used exclusively used for age determination of the tsuba as the shapes were often reused in later time periods. With that said you look like you are off to a good start. I will do some more checking and reply if I find something.

Thanks David

I know that they 'may' be a guide only

I believe that if a shape doesn't appear before say 1500 then that shape can only be dated from 1600 and that is good enough for me

Marcus :bowdown: can show certain attributes like the hitsuana/material etc date 'from' a certain period although like most of us it is an opinion

Collectors of standing are just a lot more accurate than a casual collector like me

Grev

Thanks to Morita san I've added the kanji to the tsuba images and I hope they are correct

If anyone copies this then it will be very pixilated

I'm happy to email the original document to any NMB member but they will have ask via my email:

grev.cooke@ntlworld.com

Obviously with having the original it can be used or manipulated as you wish

If this was good enough I wonder if the download would be available via the NMB?

2hquljm.png

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..