eBay auction - is this a suitable 1st piece?

I agree with Milt (aka Mr. Bungo). This blade is easily worth $500 if not more. The blade is actually quite attractive.

I would get a few oshigata (from more than one source) to compare with the mei before deciding to remove the mei. If it is obviously gimei, by all means have the signature removed.

I don't think you can really go too wrong with this piece. It may be gimei, but it is still real nihonto that appears to be in polish.

DaveF.

In a way I feel bad for the guy (getting pinked,) but in another way it annoys me that he's ready to dump her just because of a 3rd party opinion.

It's the same sword after all....

I once asked a polisher to remove a gimei sig without asking the price first. Don't EVER do that! It cost me over $1200.

Ouch! I thought it was only around $400 for the gimei removal......Do you request special treatment or something for the sword go on vacation before its mei got strip down...... :)

I think i paid for the sword to go on a Hawaiian vacation (with the polisher.)

It was an aberration and a mistake on my part to not at least ask. The problem was that the mei was on both sides (well mei and date that is) and there was a very distinct patina that I wanted copied.

Or maybe I was just impolite in my dealings and got taught a lesson :D

No argument here Mr. D! Let me know if you need someone to carry your luggage.

Did you have something to do with the auction ending early?

The auction ended early absolutely had nothing do to with me :lol: but the seller might realize that removing the mei and go through Shinsa again is a lot cheaper than selling now at a greater loss :D .

Hey....I have just enough $$$ for the sword to go to Hawaii but it will be going alone....through Priority mail so there is no need someone to carry any luggage...... :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..