changes on sword after being papered

I was interested in a sword on Ebay, item 320144175868 .

The sword has tokubetsu hozon papers from 2000. Strange enough there are two hi with kaki nagashi on the sword which don’t appear on the nakago’s picture on the papers.

Clearly, they have been added afterwards. The upper part of the nakago looks repatinated.

What is the impact of this adaptation on the value of the papers?

Paul

The seller replied as follows when questioned about the bohi : :doubt: :

------------------------------------------

Hello,

The sword is the same as paper of NBTHK.

This sword carved HI after examination of NBTHK by a teacher of Japanese traditional kendo.

I sell this sword for low price.

Thank you,

Mitsuhiro.

------------------------------------------

Certainly looks like the same sword. That's prob not suspect. If the prior owner was a practitioner, he may have had the hi/futatsugi hi carved to lighten the blade for use or to suit his tastes? The horimono look well carved from the picts.

I mean throughout history the Japanese have been carving horimono/reshaping/cutting down blades so they're no longer the same as they were when made. We may look at nihonto as being art objects that shouldn't be altered but not everyone feels that way. Sometimes, a sword is a weapon first.

That being said, I wouldn't have done it, but I'm not going to criticize someone who apparently had it done in a proper manner.

Or maybe, just maybe the owner has a closet full of nambochuko era blades made by jo saku smiths and money to burn...

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt knew that steel rusted on the inside aswell as on the surface! These HI are rusty already! amazing!...

...and look! someone managed to paint a new mei in bold letter... here let me translate it... hmm, i think it says "brown paint number 2" ! woohoo!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..