Custom made tosogu boxes

nagamaki - Franco

I have had some menuki etc custom fitted by Mr. Yoshiaki Iimura and can recommend him. Easy to deal with.

Mr. Yoshiaki Iimura

K.K.Token Bijutsu Kogeisha

ITABASHI 4-10-2, ITABASHI-KU, TOKYO

Postcode 173-0004

Japan

Email: katana-iimura@apost.plala.or.jp

Website: http://www16.plala.or.jp/katana-iimura/ ... glish.html

You have to buy the box you like (he has a good choice) and then let Iimura san know that you would like custom fitting. You then send the fittings to him (I used EMS) and he'll take care of the work and send you an invoice. You can choose from 5 different colours of cloth (2 purple, green, red and white) - see link. http://www16.plala.or.jp/katana-iimura/otoshi.html

Good luck.

Barrie.

• Like 1

Hi Franco,

We have a friend who lives in Tokyo and who has all

of our polishing, handle binding,saya , lacquer work

and NTHK shinza submissions done for us for a very

reasonable cost .

His name is Michael Cummins Micheal Cummins

Barrie has just had some work done by him as well

Regards Alan.

Hello,

It's been some time since having custom made fittings boxes done. What are some of the latest options for excellent boxes? Japan? Who? USA? Who?

Thank you.

Good question I was about ready to ask.

Hi Barrie,

I have a high end NBTHK Tokubetsu level papered tsuba that needs a custom box. The box it was in looks like it dates from the Meiji Period and need repaire. Does Mr. Yoshiaki Iimura repair old boxes and then customize the pad. If he doesn't speak English I can have my emails translated into Japanese by my wife.

Hi,

Iimura san speaks english well.. He only sells new boxes - as far as I know - and then has them fitted out.. I am guessing he gets them wholesale from where everyone else (in Japan) buys them. I have plenty of tosogu boxes that I have accumulated over the years, but he makes a living from selling them, so I always buy new before getting things fitted. Every now and then, I buy stuff that is not boxed (eBay etc) so I always have boxes for them.. LOL.

As Alan stated, you could ask Mr Micheal Cummins. He is a nice guy, quite talented and may attempt; or if he cannot do it himself, he may know someone able to repair it for you as he lives in Japan? I would have thought if you just want a box repaired though, perhaps a local cabinet maker or handy carpenter could assist, rather than sending all the way back to Japan.. I'm guessing your old box is quite dark now as well, so the new Hinoki will not match.. If your Tsuba is worth it, you might want to consider a new high end box (with mulberry edge) and custom base.. up to you.

Barrie,

Hi Barrie,

Here is the box that came with my papered NBTHK Tokubetsu Kicho papered Nobuie tsuba dissued here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19224. The peg and padding in the box needs to be replaced as you can see hopefully with something custom give the high value of the tsuba. I love the aged color of what I think is Kiri wood but could be Hinoki wood. I am not currently using this box for the Nobuie tsuba due to the condition of the peg. It is safely in a new temporary box right now.

If your Tsuba is worth it, you might want to consider a new high end box (with mulberry edge) and custom base.. up to you.

You're right this might also look very good. I have two other NBTHK Hozon papered in these type of nice boxes. One high end box I purchased from Curran at the Tampa show this year.

post-1126-14196931516956_thumb.jpg

It's not that difficult to make a fitted box yourself if you're handy with an X-acto knife - here's a few I did myself for some tsuba I made a while ago. I can't remember where I got the boxes from, but I removed the "stock" liner and peg, and replaced it with a custom insert and pillow.

post-203-1419693152587_thumb.jpg

post-203-14196931529968_thumb.jpg

post-203-14196931532151_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..