WTB: gendaito for practice

Shahar Y

Hello

First post, but I'm long time reader. I'm looking for a gendaito in koshirae for use in iai and tameshigiri, with following specifications:

Nagasa: 2.45 shaku\75cm\29.5 inches.

Sori: 20-25mm

A healthy amount of niku- many user swords today are "flat" for easy cutting of tatami, I don't like such blades.

PREFERABLE: motothaba of 34mm, sakihaba of 25 mm, motokasane of 7.5-8mm

Blade must be healthy without fatal flaws, and koshirae must be a useable condition. Meaning no chips in the blade, cracks in saya, or any of the like.

PRICE: 5000USD.

Looking forward to hear from everyone with an interesting sword,

Thank you very much,

Shahar Y.

Shahar, there are quite a few posts on NMB that relate to using Nihonto for tameshigiri. In short, it's not a good idea. This forum is dedicated to preserving blades, not scratching them up with the silicon in tatami omote & bamboo. Check on Tozando.com & buy a good shinken for 1/3 the price of a Nihonto.

Other than that, welcome to the forum.

Ken

Thanks everybody, for your fast replies and input. Maybe my terminology wasn't correct, by gendaito I meant "a sword made in the 20th century". Of course not one that has high value for preservation, but something that was made "for use". The budget is just a general pricepoint, of course I'm willing to spend less.

If the forum is indeed not the appropriate place for my search, I am truly sorry. I was under the impression that many still use modern-made nihonto for practice, and that the forum can help me find one.

A lot of people still do use nihonto for practice in iai as well as cutting, but without any knowledge or background in your art it's hard to make a recommendation at all, even then it's still hard to make a correct call.

In my opinion I would not recommend ebay, as it seems like you're not sure what you want (the gendai period has a lot of different types of blades from stainless steel to extremely high priced shinsakuto.) So without much experience it'll be more of a gamble than anything else, where your money would go further on a later purchase with more research.

If you're looking for a recommendation, here's a really nice Enomoto Sadayoshi in mounts

http://www.samuraishokai.jp/sword/14133.html

I currently have a tanto in production by his son Sadahito which costs even more than this daito, so really, you get what you pay for.

With all that said though, you really should research gendai and modern blades, to me it's just as interesting as old ones, and then make your decision. Maybe by then you will have favored a certain characteristics in your blade, maybe a lineage, or even a specific smith! The research can be just as entertaining or even more so than the purchase :)

Best of luck though!

Thank you for your advice, Grant!

I'm (currently) a 3rd dan in the ZNKR, studying muso shinden ryu. While I do have favorite measurments, and I know a good sword when I see one, I wanted to keep the options as open as possible.

However, I do get into learning about smiths and lineages as they are indeed very interesting. Most likely I will buy this sword (that was offered here, plus I noticed it while browsing the sites before)- http://www.aoijapan.com/katana-omiya-ju ... -tsukuruno

Which is almost 1-1 scale with my mogito.

I'm (currently) a 3rd dan in the ZNKR, studying muso shinden ryu. While I do have favorite measurments, and I know a good sword when I see one, I wanted to keep the options as open as possible.

However, I do get into learning about smiths and lineages as they are indeed very interesting. Most likely I will buy this sword (that was offered here, plus I noticed it while browsing the sites before)- http://www.aoijapan.com/katana-omiya-ju ... -tsukuruno

Hi,

have a look here by Strebel, sometime he has a few good shinsakuto or Gendaito.

http://www.juwelier-strebel.de/asien-ku ... atana.html

Tom

That blade looks great, Id go with that :)

Trent S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..