Fuchi Kashira needed for mount

laowho

Hello All,

Recently joined here and have managed to read several of the tosogu threads to better help me in my mounting project. It's for a new custom blade that's 1.39" / 35mm at the motohaba. I could also use an orphaned Fuchi and use a horn Kashira. Here's what I have so far and which needs the finishing Fuchi:

Tsuba is a 3" / 76mm iron in otafuku shape and of shitogi execution of a craggy plum tree with silver blossoms (and some very small/faint brass? bloom interiors). The patina is very dark and condition excellent, most likely late Edo. Wish I could post a link but aoijapan removed it after purchase.

Menuki are shakudo dragons, excellent condition and deep chocolate to black patina.

Tsuka shape will be Mani sori and will want Fuchi to have a stronger mune taper than ha (top) side.

Sorry I can't be more technical/literate with terms and needs, but I think I need something 39-40mm high and 22-24mm wide, with Kashira at about 36mm high and 20mm wide. These rough dimensions will accommodate the gently tapering (non-waisted) Mani sori tsuka shape. Theme- and period-/finish-wise, something either plain, cloud, or bird or other fauna which is not "busy," since the tsuba has as much activity as the koshirae will allow. Material can be shakudo/iron/shibuichi--what matters most is patina match, simplicity, and dimension. Thanks. We also plan to go to the upcoming Philly show if we can't find a Fuchi by then.

--Doug C

Doug, I have an orphan fuchi, iron with remnants of gold zogan (or iroe). It is 3.8 cm but if the usual shape. Yu can have it for free, I'd only ask you to pay for shipping. I got it for free, I am passing that favour on, if you want it. PM me, please, if interested.

Marius,

This is remarkable and most appreciated, more even than i can express, but before I put you or anybody else to the trouble of fitting/matching the tsuba (Ian of late), the least I can do is try to post a pic. It arrived today.

Thank you again Marius.

Doug C

Tried to upload but the file was too large. Took a phone pic but the bluetooth wouldn't activate from the phone. Tried a USB patch but the computer is still installing drivers from online to make that work. Ian has offered to edit the post and upload the pic here, but can he resize the pic file? Whatever happens, I'm hoping any minute now. Otherwise I'll be opening an account at one of those photo upload sites.

Wow! Unreal. What a great site. Thank you Ian! (Ian's been helping me figure out all manner of things.) As you can see, there's some brass in the blooms. Am thinking that plain shakudo would be my best bet, and Marius is sending the size of one tomorrow. He says it's a monster, but 40mm is preferred, and how much bigger could it be?

Doug C

Ahh...Marius' is 38mm but is 15mm high. Just like this one here maybe

http://soldiersmuseum.com/shop/index.ph ... cts_id=465

Wonderful forum. Thanks everyone.

I'll second that. Although I'd read here I was prompted to join to ask about an orphaned Fuchi. I think a lot of people who are captured by nihonto related interests are also drawn by a sense of Budo, and that certainly seems practiced here, both from what I've read and now experienced. I doubt that I'll ever have anything to contribute, but I'll still be sticking around.

Doug C

To Mariusz,

:clap: :clap: :clap:

He has always been one of the NMB's strongest supporters, and always goes out of his way to help and contribute.

To Ian, who has also jumped in to help without question, a big thanks too :bowdown:

And to the other person (who I suspect would like to remain anonymous) who regularly supports the NMB and has just made another contribution purely because of the spirit of this thread, you also have my huge respect and thanks.

Lots more need thanking, more than I could add in one post. Well done to all. We get criticised sometimes, but at the end of the day we are accomplishing something that few online resources have managed to maintain.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..