Good looking blade on ebay.

We should do this again and all take guesses what it goes for. Winner gets a prize :rotfl:

I can't believe it went so high, someone here thinks they are getting a treasure :badgrin: . fyi if that blade was in perfect condition and shirasaya if it is a wakizashi it still wouldn't go for more than $2200 imo.

Trent S

It is not a wakizashi.

And I don't quite agree with John.

"Hmm..here's a blade that I don't want myself, but let me remove the BIN to make sure that no-one else gets a good deal."

Can't say I see the logic. Someone lists something at a price they are happy to get for it. It is not our job to save the world and maximise profits.

But irrelevant anyways, not a buyer and think it will turn out to be average. Some strange opinions running around though. Let's all promote eBay as a great source. :roll:

Brian

I am with Brian....... If you really think it is a good deal, and you do not want it, why not just post it here (while it is a Buy it Now)?? That way the buyer gets what he wants and is happy and a NMB members get a chance at something they might enjoy. A lot of NMB members spend a lot of their time helping others, they don't ask or expect anything in return, but if there was a good deal to be had why not allow a NMB to get it?

I am not sure that at $1500 it was that great of a deal, it will go higher due to all the attention it is now getting but as the buyer "says" he does not allow returns there will likely to be someone who pays too much and regret it. If you buy it pay with paypal through a credit card, that way you can return it anyway.

Honestly if I had seen it on ebay at 1500$ BIN I would have bought it. I'm not at all convinced this blade is as tired as others are making it out to be. The ha machi (or what's left of it) is diminished but there is still plenty of hamon and I think it could survive a careful polish. I bet we've all seen worse. I just can't afford it unfortunately. I'm a risk taker but I have enough on my plate.

Wow, just reading through this and am appalled. While I never saw the sword before now, wouldn't bid on it even if I had, but seriously can't believe you (John) did that. You are an incredible guy, you screwed everyone out of a potentially better deal, and then comment on it like you are a saint. Unbelievable !!

I suspect everyone here will remember you, in hopes that they can help you one day !

first off let me say no disrepect to John here , but WOW John!, I cant say i agree with what you did here,there are a lot of NMB with limited funds, work very hard and save for that one sword, they search many many hours for a deal! and well you admitted to kiboshing that dream for them :lol: using that logic Im assuming then if you see an item for sale that you really want for your collection and the seller sets the price himself at say $1000 but you know its worth $2000 I really hope then you will offer him the extra $1000 :D I myself if i see a deal and not interested myself will post it here for another member to get, why not? everyone needs a deal once in a while, its what keeps us going on the hunt! Ive met many folks that had the attitude (if i cant have it for that price no one can) :( anyway back to the sword... in this economy there are way too many deals out there to be found and if you are patient some deals you would never think you would find ,( providing John dont see them first :lol: ) there is no logic or reason to take such risks on expensive blades with no returns, unable to view in person,no papers and in need of some serious restoration. just my two cents, for what ever thats worth....

anyway back to the sword... in this economy there are way too many deals out there to be found and if you are patient some deals you would never think you would find ,( providing John dont see them first :lol: ) there is no logic or reason to take such risks on expensive blades with no returns, unable to view in person,no papers and in need of some serious restoration. just my two cents, for what ever thats worth....

+1 and :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Trent S

Hi All, Please let me explain why I placed the bid and let the auction run to help him. I have been buying military items for years starting with German and the past 10 year Japanese. I have seen so many shady deals from other military buyers that give pennies on the dollar of what things are worth. I always told myself to treat people fair and you will be rewarded and try to help people that do not know. I have not known many things about my items and you all have helped me here. I know many people here would have liked to have it for 1500, but just maybe the extra money will help someone we do not even know and bring joy to someones life. I also know how many people are strapped for cash and need to find a bargain and I am sorry if I offended anyone for doing this, but I would have done this for anyone of you also. Pay it forward.... or should I now say pay for it. I tried to lighted the subject with a little humor. :D Best Regards, John

Hi All, Please let me explain why I placed the bid and let the auction run to help him. I have been buying military items for years starting with German and the past 10 year Japanese. I have seen so many shady deals from other military buyers that give pennies on the dollar of what things are worth. I always told myself to treat people fair and you will be rewarded and try to help people that do not know. I have not known many things about my items and you all have helped me here. I know many people here would have liked to have it for 1500, but just maybe the extra money will help someone we do not even know and bring joy to someones life. I also know how many people are strapped for cash and need to find a bargain and I am sorry if I offended anyone for doing this, but I would have done this for anyone of you also. Pay it forward.... or should I now say pay for it. I tried to lighted the subject with a little humor. :D Best Regards, John

this completely makes no sense. First if he has a BIN at 1500, and someone will pay fully what he is asking, how is that a shady deal for pennies on the dollar??? He is getting full asking price.

And since you dont want it, but you bid to remove the buy it now ( which at the time you bid is 4 times the amount he could get) and what then if the sword sells for $570 as no one bids after you?????

Either way you look at it. You either cost him money getting him less that BIN, or ruin a fair deal for many serious buyers at full price the seller asked. The only win for the seller is if it goes past the BIN price, which now looks like you placed some Shill bidding to increase the price in cohoots with him. And shill bidding is bidding on something when you have no intention to buy it, you are merely trying to raise the sale price.

I hope you never find any sword i am interested in. You have a weird concept of pay it forward.

Chris

I agree with Chris........... something is wrong here... John tells us he is the first bidder, check the bids, you can see he is H***T (1646).. he bids $100 first, then $200 -- ok I can buy that from his explanation..... but then he bids $1951 when he says he does not want it???????? Sure looks like collusion (John says he used to live in the same state where the seller lives) and/or shill bidding (bidding when you have stated you do not want it). I smell something fishy