Good looking blade on ebay.

I didn't have a clue what it said I just like the shape xD I was looking for a great blade to get polished and mount, could be it ;)

Trent S

Yeah, 'cos a 1000 Nihonto treasure hunters haven't already all spotted that one and think they are going to score it for under $2K...

:rofl:

This is where eBay thrives. Everyone thinks no-one else spotted something, meantime there are 30 guys with their sniper fingers ready to pounce. Good luck, it won't be cheap.

Should we take a pool where it will end? My guess is around $2800.

Of course, it will probably turn out to be another gimei Shinshinto copy....but still looks quite nice. Buyer owes the forum commission. :rotfl:

Brian

I'll play Brian, though I haven't studied the mei, and have no idea if it is good. I only found one in Hawley's and he's 25 points, so he may have been copied. Assuming it's a decent likeness of his signature, I'll predict $3250. Cheers, Bob

lets be modest here ..so someone pays say even $1500 then say a modest $3000 complete restoration, your still at $4500 for a blade that still needs papers, could be gimei, and lets face it as ive already pointed out a very tired worn blade that in my eyes may not even polish good. I have purchased several TBH swords in the $5000-$6000 range in beautiful polish and complete with koshirae... Just a thought folks...

I would like to find signed, polished TBH swords at $5-6K. Were they wakizashi? As to this one, the game is to guess where it ends up. I think that the restoration costs are more like $5-6K for it, including shirasaya, papers, shipping etc. The FK look nice, as does the tsuba and habaki. Yes, it needs a touch of machi-okuri, but not the end of the world. Unless the ebay world is reading this thread, there is no way this goes under $2400, and I think it will be much more. There are so many buyers in europe and asia these days. I would say that one third of my ebay sales go outside the US, although I am not a super frequent seller.

No doubt complete restoration, with shinsa, would be in excess of $5000. If all goes well, it could be worth it, up to maybe $3000-$4000 buying price. But you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Really lucky? Well do you?

I think there are safer bets out there...

But you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Really lucky? Well do you?

Ha! I think that you are missing a......punk.

As to the date, as an alternative it may be Tai-ei 13, or 1534, which goes along with the time of Kunitsugu. b

I will refrain from detailed commenting on this blade until auction ends :) but i would suggest looking close at the last 5 inches of blade also the Ha-Machi area....

I thought that the blade shape at the end was just due to the sheet? Could be wrong though :P

I love the sniper button :D :D :D

5-6k for a polish???? rubbish! Who says you need to send it to Japan to get a shirasaya and koshire :P Japan isn't the only place that you can get quality items made. My interest is in blades only.

I think that it is wakizashi length. Ill play, I think it will go for 1900. I think it could have been much lower had it not appeared here. If it doesn't go very cheap I don't want it anyway. I was just buying it for a laugh because treasure huntings fun :)

Trent S

Wonder if the e-mail from E-Bay listing the Buy it now price is correct >?

Hi drbvac,

There is a new highest bid on this item, but there's still a chance to make it yours. Increase your bid to have a chance at winning.

Download eBay Mobile to receive alerts when you've been outbid so you can quickly increase your bid.

Increase bid

Item Information

ANTIQUE Japanese SAMURAI SWORD

Item number: 171438796046

Current bid: $580.00

Buy It Now price: $1,500.00

Your maximum bid: $570.00

End time: 04-Sep-14 20:09:42 EDT

View Item | Go to My eBay