WTB healthy blade - northern california - sonoma county

Cornerst0ne

Hello again NMB,

I am looking to start my journey in real nihonto.

I've done a lot of reading and looking and considering.

Located in Sonoma county California, but I will drive a bit if needed.

Budget is not very high - i would part with 1000$ for the right sword.

I am open to alot. And trying to shop locally I don't want to rule too much out. Except I am looking for a healthy blade.

A 'real' sword for tamashigiri would be nice, should I find a ww2 oil quenched or similar quality blade.

Also open to a older sword needing some tlc maybe a new saya or tsuka or a polish. That most likely I would never cut with, just preserve. I am handy enough to make a nice friction fit tsuka, i have made a habaki, seppa would be nothing..

I'm tall I need something with around 26 inches of blade or longer.

So if you would like to liquidate one of your lower end pieces, or that project that just is never going to get done give me a shout! Thanks

Henry-

A 'real' sword for tamashigiri would be nice, should I find a ww2 oil quenched or similar.

Sorry to ask, but is it a question?

You say 'real' sword. As a collector I wouldnt use any old swords.

But buy a newly made from a good smith from china.

If useing a ww2 blade ,habaki,tsuka,seppas and tsuba must have tight fit, otherwise it can end with personel injury.

A funny old timer........dont buy cheap swords....(dont miss the sound)..

Hi, Henry:

Please don't forget to sign ALL your posts, per Brian's rules.

This forum is dedicated to preserving Nihonto, not using them for tameshigiri, but that aside, are you looking for a blade in full koshirae for that $1000? If so, better look for a modern shinken (Cheness, etc.), rather than a Nihonto. Anything you'd get for that price would be unlikely to be safe enough to use for test cutting.

Ken

http://www.ncjsc.org

Henry -

The Northern California Japanese Sword Club meets on the third Sunday of every month in nearby San Francisco, in the heart of Japantown. Among our members are practitioners of Iaido and Kendo who understand the difficulties of the search you are on. Attendance is free and we welcome people of all ages and interests. Please do join us as I am sure we can help you find what it is you are looking for and perhaps help you avoid some of the common collecting mistakes.

http://www.ncjsc.org/SF_token_kai.htm

it is a shame you just missed the annual sword show but perhaps now you have that to look forward to...

-t

A 'real' sword for tamashigiri would be nice, should I find a ww2 oil quenched or similar.

Sorry to ask, but is it a question?

You say 'real' sword. As a collector I wouldnt use any old swords.

But buy a newly made from a good smith from china.

If useing a ww2 blade ,habaki,tsuka,seppa and tsuba must have tight fit, otherwise it can end with personel injury.

A funny old timer........dont buy cheap swords....(dont miss the sound)..

Thats probably Good. :clap: As a collector you'd likely damage them. Also you may damage someone/thing or yourself. :lipssealed: watch out fido...

I should have asked people not to post things unrelated to buying and selling nihonto in California.

Ken-hawaii, with due respect, I don't remember asking anyone for opinions either. Would you reply to someone on craigslist to say that?.. I also don't seem to be able to find anything of use from your post..thanks for the micromoderation..

I don't feel the need to "preserve" a oil quenched, mass produced blade made solely for war, devoid of any real artistic merit other than maybe its shape.... And there seems to be some dispute over even calling them nihonto...at least that's what I read...

And please believe if I did have a ww2 blade like for tamashigiri it would be kept and respected very well.

Toryu- thank you for the response, that is a good suggestion. I will check out a meeting as soon as i can.

As for the quake, I didn't even wake up ... It was rolling quite hard apparently. Not too much damage as I have heard.

Thanks,

Hank

Archived