Kantei paper origin & translation

Ken-Hawaii

I would greatly appreciate knowing which group created this kantei paper & how it is translated. The left side seems to read Boku Toshioto, which doesn't make much sense.

I know I've seen a similar origami before, but can't find it in my notes. Thanks!

Ken

post-328-14196924856468_thumb.jpg

The 2 large kanji on the right read munechika,who was heian jidai.

Im struggling with the rest though sorry.

I know you have a translation for the left but if it's not a sword and your open to variation,it could be 小札-こざね which is a small armour platelet.

I'm sure Moriyama san or some of the others will help.

Munechika, the maker of this tachi blade, lived in the mid-Heian period (794-1185) and is famous as an expert craftsman active when Japanese sword-making techniques were first being established. He is reputed to have lived on Sanjô Avenue in Kyoto during the Eien era (987-989), and is thus known as Sanjô Munechika. He used two signatures, signing his works either Sanjô or Munechika.

Clearly the above info states "Blade" and this thread is on a PAPER,so we are talking about the name Munechika as already stated before.

If you go a search you will also find more on this.

Guido wrote:-

If he's indeed the maker of this blade, he forged it posthumous during the Kamakura period ...

My post was a copy and paste of the top answer to a munechika search obviously not connected to this paper,used purely for the name. Do a search and see for yourself. :roll:

Something's never change :clap:

Sorry Ken,sincerest apologies.

When I posted first to your thread I was trying to help with the name but my post was totally misunderstood or was it? Then I was insulted and I wouldn't take that off the board so I'm not having it on it,it happens often on the board in different ways.

Again sorry and I hope you find the information your after.

John,

The confusion came in when you wrote "Munechika, the maker of this tachi blade, lived in the mid-Heian period (794-1185) and is famous as an expert craftsman active when Japanese sword-making techniques were first being established." when actually, it has nothing to do with this sword besides a common unrelated name. Even I was confused as to whether this origami is supposed to be for some tachi by the famous Munechika, when it is not. Just need to make that a bit clearer, that the writing was a copy/paste and not commentary.

Let's just call it a misunderstanding and leave it at that.

Brian

No problem, John. Sometimes we all need to have a thick skin on the board. But Guido wasn't really making fun of you, I'm fairly sure; he's actually quite a kind & helpful soul.

We have two hurricanes bearing down on our little islands (http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_vis.php?image=enh&inv=0&t=l12&region=we), & I'm almost done preparing the house for the high winds & rain we expect by tomorrow afternoon, so I'm heading upstairs for a good night's sleep - it may be my last one for awhile....

Ken

Take care Ken. We've had rain and high winds 60km/hr quite often this summer. It has been between 5 and 10C last couple of weeks. It has to be one of the wettest coldest summers for a long time. As to the :crazy: symbol used, it can be taken a lot of ways and knowing Guido casually would be in the most benign fashion :crazy: eh? John

Exactly what Brian said. It's quite helpful to mark a quote as a quote, stating the source, and pointing out it's unrelated to the sword being discussed - there was nothing "obvious" about it, and furthermore I'm not a mind-reader. But I guess it's more fun huffing and puffing about an imagined insult.

Guido, do you know what TYPE of origami these papers are, or which organization issued them?
As Moriyama-san pointed out, the appraiser seems to be an individual named 薫秋. I've never heard about him before, or if he belongs to any organization. Sorry.

I already put this to bed as you will see if you read my posts, also if you read any of my other posts you will see I don't know my way around a computer.

But if you look at my posts is obvious I never wrote that piece,I'm totally a novice.

Now to the huffing and puffing of an imagined insult, if we were all stood together and you said something and I started the make your crazy gesture what would you think or how would you feel?

If you have anything to add pm me,I think it's rude to do this on kens thread.

Could this be a kanteisho by polisher Sugimoto Shigeaki (杉本薫秋) who studied under Honami Tenrai (天籟)?

:D

You are great!

Yes,Sugimoto Shigeaki/Kunshu

His name appears in Markus's book [The Honami Family] on page 81.

:D

You are great!

Yes,Sugimoto Shigeaki/Kunshu

His name appears in Markus's book [The Honami Family] on page 81.

Morita-san, it was a team effort, because without your kanji, I never would've found it. It looked like a fuda, so I suspected a Hon'ami link and checked Markus' book ;)

Well, it actually was Koichi who came up with the translation/reading of the appraiser's name ...

Whoops, mixed up our 2 top translators - sry Koichi-san! :oops: All credit to you reading the name and coming up with kanji :)