This is my favourite piece.

Very ostentatious; will not appeal to everyone. The blade is Tokubetsu Juyo Ko Motoshige circa 1320

Ostentatious? Never! And why would this not appeal to every nihonto fanatic? No need to apologize in advance for showing off this work. That took courage. Tokubetsu Juyo and a regal koshirae. Thank you for sharing it.

Alan

Quick question. Is there any reason to collect... less desirable pieces? I mean, I dont want to see them melted down but looking at this, will they ever be anything but artifacts?

Less desirable than what? Juyo level?

Trent S

*wince* Hoping to get out of that question. I mean koto with hagire, I mean great names with great flaws. *sigh* I mean blades that no one here would collect but might have some sort of historical value.

Very ostentatious; will not appeal to everyone. The blade is Tokubetsu Juyo Ko Motoshige circa 1320

Hello,

This blade looks healthy even in photograph! As for ostentatious, we must keep in mind and appreciate the fact that what we are seeing is a window into the mind of koshirae artists as well as a "samurai" from another time and culture. Sometimes we just need to set aside our personal points of view and suffer.

Thank you for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems to have died, predictably.

I'd like to resurrect it by posting a few photos of one of my favourite swords. I only have three swords, and they are all favourites.

Echizen Sadatsugu

[attachment=2]IMG_3669.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]3D7A4040z.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]3D7A4047.jpg[/attachment]

Alan

Great thread, hopefully it keeps going.

I'll add mine, I only have a couple pieces, but this one, my first tsuba is my favorite. Momoyama period Owari sukashi in the design of a spider web. Note the spider carved on the shakudo plug.

These shots best display it's true patina.

6Q7glj.jpg

pSDWzR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes it is not the value or quality of an object that makes it a favourite

This is my bad boy

10nunf5.jpg

I started collecting tsuba in April 2012 and while nosing around the internet came across the NMB site. I wasn’t very busy at the time and read hundreds of posts, even as far back to the time that some images were corrupted. I couple of months later I plucked up enough courage to post my first tsuba. It was posted in June 2012, the post went to five pages with 60 replies and 2825 views. After what felt like a multiple mental beating I was feeling shell shocked. Was I an idiot, is this tsuba so bad it was an embarrassment? Should I stop collecting and in the classic words ‘never darken the door of the NMB again’. After a bit of encouragement from Brian I re-evaluated the replies and these are a couple of my favourites from my first post:

Poor Kanshiro is probably turning in his grave now.

How on earth can you attribute this doodle to Nishigaki?, that's embarrassing.

I love you Tosogu guys

I was thinking till now that disputes among members were reserved to Nihonto

Now such tsuba form/pattern has an Higo flavour (whatever it is: Juyo, junk, cast, Meiji - BTW, did I forget something?)

A later reply said not to forget 'Chinese'

It’s what this tsuba has led to that was life changing

My collection numbers over 150 tsuba. These are my learning tsuba, from these I will reduce to around 50. This will give me a nucleus so I can strive for constant improvement to my collection.

I’ve been working with a local museum and with help I will endeavour to publish a book.

I have conversed with NMB members from all over the world and their help and expertise has been faultless.

I have been offered the chance to make my own tsuba.

Had a personal introduction to Robert Haynes who I’ve spoken to on many occasions.

There more but I have to end somewere

I would have liked to add a picture of Brian as a ‘favourite’ but maybe this isn’t allowed.

Grev UK

To borrow from that Guinness TV ad, "Brilliant!"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."

Stephen. Nice set of Tempo Tsuba. If you like Tempo Tsuba, you might like to see this one: http://tanto.dk/product/tsuba-tempo-skole/

However, to serious, my favorite piece is my naginata-naoshi Daido blade: http://tanto.dk/product/naginata-naoshi ... ami-daido/

Even the blade surely needs a polish, its my favorite big time.

I like this thread, many very, very beautyful items indeed. People has good taste and have done well I think.

This is one of my favorite pieces - nice and fine itame/masame hada, exuberant gunome choji, chikei in a couple of places, nijuba, sanjuba, lots of hataraki, midare komi boshi. The ha is bright and lights up like a Christmas tree - not hard at all to photograph.

Regards,

Hoanh

post-3198-1419693644276_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196936454817_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196936462027_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196936475929_thumb.jpg

post-3198-14196936484217_thumb.jpg

Jean: Thank you. Yes, they are my own pictures. I have been practicing nihonto photography.

Chris: I agree. This sword was last polished in Japan in 1999, according to the previous owner. It's too bad he didn't take care of it properly.

Regards,

Hoanh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..