31 INCH Katana with 2 body Tameshigiri & Original Tachi Kosh

Nickupero

Alright guys, this is one of those nicer pieces I have to offer where I prefer the price is not listed and if anyone is truly interested they can contact me. I'm asking WELL over $10k so you can have an idea. One of my best pieces and I don't have many like them, hopefully some of you will enjoy.

The blade is signed "Yamashiro no kami Fujiwara Hidetoki Mitsudou", along with the date Kanei 20 (1644AD), second month, lucky day. This Hidetoki is Shodai, 2 more generations after carried the name, Shodai was wazamono ranking. He moved around, was in Mino, Edo and settled in Osaka. To be clear a 2 body cutting test was performed using this piece, and you can see the Mitsudou at the base of the Mei. What is interesting is the inscription of the cutting test matches the smiths signature, both in style and patina. I presume the cutting test was performed just right after the maker made the piece possibly by the owner or even the smith. I haven't finished going through the book Markus wrote, maybe some examples are present there.

The Nagasa measures a Huge 78.7 cm / 31 inches, holding it you honestly feel like it could of went through the 2 bodies just by the momentum of its own weight falling. I put my Monju Katana beside it in one of the pictures just to give an idea of the size difference.

It comes with a very beautiful Tachi koshirae, original to the blade it seems with no mix matched pieces. Blade fits like a glove. The saya is half ray skin and the other half lacquered leather. The Tsuka-ito is also original leather with large Menuki, one side is a mother/ baby tiger and the other looks like the father.

Again a really nice set with very interesting history. If you have questions don't be shy to pm or email me. Donation will be gladly honoured if sold here.

post-4289-14196922187142_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196922199114_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196922203096_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196922208319_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196922213363_thumb.jpg

post-4289-14196922220078_thumb.jpg

Nick,

Please pm me the price, so that it is on record. We covered this before, but I think after this exception, I am going to have to go back to the original rule of all items having a price, lest we start a trend that others will expect too.

I am also considering a dealer section that will benefit both dealers and buyers, to be implemented later this year.

Thanks, and a real beautiful sword.

Brian

Pm with the price sent Brian, sorry if it caused any problems behind the scenes. The rules put in place are justified and I don't think anyone should have preferential treatment.

It will be the last of the higher end pricey pieces I list on the NMB, I'll stick to the more affordable pieces that I feel comfortable disclosing the price.

Initially my thought to list these higher end items was for collectors to enjoy visually since not everyone can attend events, Also I felt they would have been good to help train the eyes of the lesser experienced collectors. Maybe I'll put them in the general discussion section way before I plan to list them for sale, something that would be open for discussion we'll see.

Thanks for everyone who took a moment to view the item :)

Initially my thought to list these higher end items was for collectors to enjoy visually since not everyone can attend events, Also I felt they would have been good to help train the eyes of the lesser experienced collectors. Maybe I'll put them in the general discussion section way before I plan to list them for sale, something that would be open for discussion we'll see.

Thanks for everyone who took a moment to view the item :)

Nick: Whatever it takes just so that you continue to post the pictures. :Drooling: I certainly believe both the blade and koshirae are worthy of comment and additional discussion. As a lesser experienced collector myself, I certainly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Ben M.

Archived