Questions from a newbie sword owner

Shryke

Hello there. I recently purchased my first Katana, through Aoi-Art. I am extremely pleased with the sword, and enjoy looking at it for hours at a time. I have found three extremely small spots on the sword - approximately 1mm in diameter. They are dark colored, perhaps even brown. One appears in the hamon, the other two elsewhere. I, of course, feared rust. However, when I look at the spots in good lighting, even reflecting different lights off of the spot, the surface of the sword appears to be perfectly flat. I have also passed a toothpick over the spots to feel or any type of surface change, with zero effect.

So, my questions: are they very small rust spots? Polished over and thus smooth? Or something that appears in swords of certain quality (or lack thereof)?

If I have omitted relevant information, please forgive me.

edit: name

Daniel F

This is my only experiecne.

Even if the surface looked flat with your naked eyes, you might find very small spots of rust with a magnifying glass.

I actually went over the spots with a relatively small maginifying glass, as well as a toothpick. They are as smooth as the surrounding areas.

That being said, do you suggest that I send the sword for polish? It came in nice polish when I purchased it (at least, it is ncie to me). Or can I simply keep the sword well oiled and not worry about it? A $3k polish would be a significant expense at this time.

Daniel F

edit: Patient Uchiko will not rectify this issue, I assume?

I actually went over the spots with a relatively small maginifying glass, as well as a toothpick. They are as smooth as the surrounding areas.

That being said, do you suggest that I send the sword for polish? ....... Or can I simply keep the sword well oiled and not worry about it?

Daniel F

First things first, ID what these spots are, or are not. Images :?:

In general, the problem with pinhole rust, if active, is it will progress unseen beneath the surface.

Pinholes are generally taken care of in the regular course of polishing, but a good polisher will not unecessarily remove metal just to remove a deep pinhole. Some polishers seal any remaining pinholes with lacquer.

For now you can oil the sword or just spot oil the areas in question, if it's a concern. Don't over oil, it will only pool up and soak into the saya.

fd

That being said, do you suggest that I send the sword for polish? ....... Or can I simply keep the sword well oiled and not worry about it?

Daniel F

First things first, ID what these spots are, or are not. Images :?:

In general, the problem with pinhole rust, if active, is it will progress unseen beneath the surface.

Pinholes are generally taken care of in the regular course of polishing, but a good polisher will not unecessarily remove metal just to remove a deep pinhole. Some polishers seal any remaining pinholes with lacquer.

For now you can oil the sword or just spot oil the areas in question, if it's a concern. Don't over oil, it will only pool up and soak into the saya.

fd

Most informative, thank you. I am still trying to get a picture of the spots. I am convinced the laquering over has occurred. Is this a serious "problem" for the blade?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..