Uesugi Kenshin's Mountain-bird-hair Sanchomo/Yama-tori-ge

Bugyotsuji

In Showa Dai Meito Zufu it is described as follows:

"The by-name "Yamadorige" is said to have come from the way the exuberant hamon appears to be similar to the feathers of wild highland birds, but because of existence of varied propositions no definite story has been established to date."

It's one of the few books actually containing pictures of the Yamadorige, do you perhaps have an oshigata? I always thought it was in a private collection...

• 2 years later...

"San Cho Mo" is going on display again at the Prefectural Museum from tomorrow until 21 May.

http://www.pref.okayama.jp/kyoiku/kenhaku/nowExhibitions.htm

Our sword society has booked a hands-on Kantei/kansho Kai in early summer with many of the museum's Kokuho and other good swords, but sadly this one being privately owned will therefore not be available for handling.

PS Unable to go back and change the title to this thread, I should mention that Yamatorige should more properly be, as others have pointed out above, Yamadorige, t changing to d according to the rules of grammar.

Some sword dictionaries however, say -tori, not -dori:

http://meitou.info/index.php/%E5%B1%B1%E9%B3%A5%E6%AF%9B

Also an interesting point, is that every time I hear someone say "Yamatorige" in the presence of a high level scholar, they are corrected to pronounce it "Sanchōmō".  I myself was corrected by Mr. Tanobe some years ago, and he was kindly insistent that it was no other way than that. 

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the update, Raymond. Talks have foundered again and again, but now perhaps this sword can stay in its place of birth. I can understand why Joetsu City might have wanted to have it for the Uesugi Kenshin and family connections.

*Actually the article states that the 'private individual' who lives in Okayama, is selling the sword to Setouchi City, where the Osafune Sword Museum is located. (She wants 5 Oku for it, apparently to cover taxes according to the rumours.)

• Like 3

I think most of you already read the new article by Darcy. But here is a not so well known photo. And I think now you can see, why Sanchomo is such a powerful and graceful sword.

The article: https://yuhindo.com/ha/

On the other hand there is an utsushi by Ono Yoshimitsu and you see he is very close to the original.

Uwe G.

post-699-0-87408700-1525372064_thumb.jpg

post-699-0-29889600-1525372107_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..