horse armor

edzo

Hi to all,

A friend purchased these Aori recently and wondered if they were late 17th or early 18th century. To me they look to have a chinese style primarily because of the embossed dragons on the border. They are very heavy hide lacqured blak and then in gold depictinh a leaping tiger looking back. The reverse includes some Japanese characters I cannot read, perhaps someone will pitch in, Thanks, Ed, hope u enjoy them in any event.

post-1490-14196914511053_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14196914515644_thumb.jpg

Hi Malcom, thanks for responding. They appear to have three claws and I was aware of the point u made. The subject is filthy, any advice on how to clean them?, or their age?

I have used mink oil on old Japanese leather items with no problems, try whatever you use on a small area first of course.

Thanks Eric, I'll have to get some and will be careful by testing a small area first. My concern was the lacquer and gold that remains on the face of it. BTW, the hide is about 1/4 " thick, what did it come from, a water buffalo, ox horse ? Ed F

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..