New Article - the Yoshihara Tradition

Paul Martin recently donated a fantastic article to the Nihonto Message Board that he wrote on the Yoshihara tradition of Japanese swordmaking. This is an extensive summary of this important line, and features information on such esteemed modern swordsmiths such as Yoshihara Yoshindo, Ono Yoshimitsu, Yoshihara Kuniie and many others.

It is in the form of a 34 Meg downloadable .pdf file, and is linked from the NMB Downloads section at the top of the page.

Please feel free to download it or view it in your own time. There is no rush to download it, it will be up permanently.

A huge thanks goes out to Paul for this tremendous effort and gracious donation. If any of you are on other forums, please rather refer people to the archives page where they can download it, instead of posting the direct link to it.

Enjoy,

Brian

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the article and the kind comments.

It was actually written in 2005 as the main part of a catalogue to accompany the exhibition of the same theme that I curated in the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena. Unfortunately, the museum could not raise the funds to publish the catalogue, which would have included: other info including pictures of most of the swords exhibited, a brief history of the Japanese sword, a small piece on the ichimonji school and the usual general info on swords.

As I gather more oshigata etc and profiles on related smiths who have since gone independent, I may update it in the not so near future.

Best

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..