Assembling a kura saddle tree, how to tie together

Urushisuji

Hi all. I have a mid Edo period lacquered saddle currently in its four parts. I need to assemble it for display, and was wondering if anyone knows of a reference or could copy a relevant page showing how to tie the knots to secure the parts together? I gather its complicated! Here is an image from a similar saddle that has the knot I gather is appropriate and I'd like to replicate. I haven't been able to find more information on it in any books, journals as yet. If there is a simpler securing knot I could use that is authentic I'd be happy with other suggestions.

I'd also like to thank you all for such a great forum - I've been doing a lot of research on assembling armour and found a lot of advice here and great images to learn from, to complement the Japanese reference books. I'll post a link to the exhibition I'm preparing for shortly, so if you're in Melbourne, Australia, please come!

post-5124-14196913561879_thumb.jpg

Thank you, I saw this fantastic thread but my question relates to just the four lacquered wood components of the kura being secured together, not the pads or cloths, I might be using the wrong terminology. Apologies for the lack of signature, first post :)

Suzi S

Hi all. I have a mid Edo period lacquered saddle currently in its four parts. I need to assemble it for display, and was wondering if anyone knows of a reference or could copy a relevant page showing how to tie the knots to secure the parts together? I gather its complicated! Here is an image from a similar saddle that has the knot I gather is appropriate and I'd like to replicate. I haven't been able to find more information on it in any books, journals as yet. If there is a simpler securing knot I could use that is authentic I'd be happy with other suggestions.

Suzi, I doubt if you will find that type of information online, the knots are quite complicated looking, unless you can arrange to have another kurabane (Japanese saddle tree) on hand to see how the knots are done I suggest that you simply use some approprate looking cord and do the best you can, most likely if you are going to display it no one will see the under side, and even if they did no one would know if it was correctly tied together.

Kurabane is the wooden tree of the Japanese saddle which was made from red oak (kashi), the parts are connected to each other by joints and cords allowing the kurabane to flex, it has four parts, the maewa (pommel) the arched front plate, the shizuwa (cantle) the arched rear plate, these are connected by two igi (contoured side bands) which connect the maewa to the shizuwa, the igi rest on either side of the horse's spine and serve as the under frame for the leather seat (basen or kura tsubo), the igi are slotted for the stirrup straps (chikara-gawa or gekiso) to pass through.

640px-Kura_4.JPG

1024px-Kura_1.JPG

Many thanks Malcolm, and Eric great images. I've come across Japanese books showing instructions on how to tie boxes and tea caddy's, Japanese armour cords, using the traditional knots so was hoping something similar might have been out there on saddles, but yes, I think you're right that its not going to be on the web. I have another saddle to copy from, but being quite complicated I thought I'd be able to do it more accurately and efficiently with instructions. I'm up for the challenge though!

Suzi S

Many thanks Malcolm, and Eric great images. I've come across Japanese books showing instructions on how to tie boxes and tea caddy's, Japanese armour cords, using the traditional knots so was hoping something similar might have been out there on saddles, but yes, I think you're right that its not going to be on the web. I have another saddle to copy from, but being quite complicated I thought I'd be able to do it more accurately and efficiently with instructions. I'm up for the challenge though!

Suzi S

Suzi, unfortunately there is not much happening in the way of information exchange between the West and Japan on many subjects, with the subject of samurai saddles and equipment being one of those subjects. From time to time some interesting information that originates in Japan gets discovered and if you do happen to find what you were looking for please post it here. If you are ever able to post images from your exhibit please do that as well, it is great that you will be allowing people a chance to see some items that they otherwise would not be exposed to and good luck with the exhibition!

Some related links.

Here is one such example of Japanese source information, it is a wonderful series of drawings that illustrate all of the necessary equipment that a mounted samurai would have needed. All of the individual saddle related components are shown as well as their attachment methods. It also shows the step by step process of wearing an armor including the clothing needed under the armor, I do not know of anything else like it.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/origi ... d40156.jpg

Related information.

http://www.pinterest.com/nihonnokatchu/ ... equipment/

Wikipedia article on the Japanese saddle with has names for many of the related items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kura_(saddle)

Wikipedia article on a the Japanese stirrup (abumi).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abumi

Wikimedia commons Japanese saddle related images.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kura-no-baju_(Japanese_saddle_and_related_parts)

Here is a picture showing some items I allowed the New York Museum of Natural History to use for a traveling exhibit on horses that they helped put together.

a5c093fff045763b182d2e0e05b7080b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the great links Eric.

The lacing went well - it's challenging as the holes between the wooden parts are all internal. I laced them with the wooden parts slightly apart, about an inch gap, so I could help feed through the double strand (some of the holes weren't perfectly smooth inside, making the strand catch sometimes). It didnt seem to matter which hole I started with, it still seemed to end up eventually with the square (ie. I was initially concerned about what order to go through the holes as I didnt want to have to go back over the same section on the underside thereby doubling the thickness, but this never seemed to eventuate fortunately). Once I had all four sides of the 'square' laced, finishing by going through the loop at the end of the double strand, I could pull the lacing tight bit by bit, and then put the wood parts in their proper location and finish the tightening and tie it off. Then we laced the central diamond section to tighten the 'square' with a slightly thicker diameter strand. Patience is the key!

Thank you all,

Suzi S

post-5124-14196917244254_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..