a bird question!

Well, nothing to do with Nihonto but a lot to do with Japan and the Samurai era...

In almost every Samurai film i have seen there is always one sound, apart from the cicades, which strikes me....

the sound of a bird...... its always the same sound, in every movie i see...

Does anyone know which bird that is ? since i have NEVER heard that bird anywhere else than in these Japanese movies....

hope you can help me out here.. wish i had an audio clip, but i havent...

KM

agreed with Bungo for the first time :D It's a hawk. During the peaceful Edo period many daimiyos conducted wildgame huntings using hawks. It's called taka gari and was used for training retainers to make them battle ready. I think perhaps this bird singing image gave abstract concept on some samurai flicks. Just an opinion.

I heard that bird often when I lived in Kamakura. It is a bird of the summer, rather than the Spring (as I recall). Kurosawa often used this bird call in his films... When I asked Japanese friends what sort of bird made that call, I was told it was an uguisu (the Japanese bush warbler).

Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..