Nihonto Appraisals

I’d like to get my swords appraised for insurance coverage. I was wondering whether there are any requirements, qualification or certifications that an appraiser should have.

Also, is there any qualified Nihonto appraiser in Washington, DC metropolitan area?

Best regards,

There is no certification for appraisers.

I'd send it to Benson, he can appraise. Given his experience (over 40 years) and that he's on the NBTHK/AB board, and won an award at the polishing competition and was first non-Japanese to do so... that's probably the best background you can get outside of the various organizations. Those organizations though will not assign a value, so that's where you get stuck.

Your other option is to bring it to Christie's, I don't know if they have a DC office, but you can always train it up to New York. They will provide you with an estimate for insurance purposes and due to their high profile I'm sure they would be accepted.

Your other option is to bring it to Christie's, I don't know if they have a DC office, but you can always train it up to New York. They will provide you with an estimate for insurance purposes and due to their high profile I'm sure they would be accepted.

Darcy;

Thank you very much for the great suggestion. I'll get in touch with Christie's to set up an appointment, I can even drive up to NY. I have purchased a sword from their London's office a few years ago and was very happy with their service. I hope that their NY's office is as good as their London's office.

Best,

Rod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..