Katana & dagger

I have a katana w/scabbard (sorry if this is not the right word) and a dagger that I would like to sell. These items were part of my mother's estate and, though there were family stories about them, I never knew what was true and what was not. Unfortunately, my mother was probably the last one who had any idea where these items came from. I am simply looking to dispose of these items to settle the estate as I am neither a collector or fancier. I have taken them to a couple of pawn shops where I was told that they were old and might be of some value. I was referred to the knifeforums website where someone there told me the dagger might have come from the Phillipines. The katana seems obviously to have come from Japan, which would square with one family story that says these items were brought home by my grandfather after WWII. I was also told by someone on the website that the katana might be valuable if it had a signature or markings under the tang. Didn't know what a tang was but assumed that since the blade was removable the markings, if any, would be at the top of the blade. Well, my husband was able to remove the wooden peg that held the blade and, upon removing it, we did find what appears to be Japanese writing on both sides. I first made a rubbing of the writing, then took photos. I tried to attach the photos but the files were too big and this site would not accept them. I would appreciate any further information anyone can offer about these items and if anyone is interested in purchasing them would love to hear from you. So if you have an interest and want to see the photos please let me know your email address and I will gladly send the photos. Thank you!

Sherryl

Thank you once again for putting on the pics of the katana. It obviously had some hard use. One can only imagine what stories it could tell if it could speak! Still, not too bad for something that was apparently made over 500 years ago. I spoke to my only surviving aunt, my mom's sister, who told me that my uncle served in WWII. I am guessing that is how the katana & dagger came to be in my mother's possession. My uncle never could hold on to much money and was often unemployed. He was in the habit of bringing my mother things to "hold" for him and she would give him some money to live on. Now, understand that this was not easy for my mom, since she was raising 5 kids, and my dad, who had only a grade school education, often worked two jobs to feed, clothe and house us all. My uncle has been deceased now for quite some years. So this is probably how the katana & dagger came into my mother's possession. I am sure she had no idea of its value. She only knew she was doing her brother a favor.

Sherryl

OUCH!! The sword is awful rough condition. Trent may regret calling dibs :badgrin:

I was interested in the dagger if it was Filipino, but it doesn't look like anything from Philippines or Indonesia that I have seen.

:dunno:

OUCH!! The sword is awful rough condition. Trent may regret calling dibs :badgrin:

I was interested in the dagger if it was Filipino, but it doesn't look like anything from Philippines or Indonesia that I have seen.

:dunno:

It is such a shame, I have a feeling that it would have been a very beautiful sword before it left for the war. Definitely a lot of care went into the blade carving. Id keep that in the family if it were me. Thanks for the photos you emailed as well.

Trent Spencer

Not a Fairbairn Sykes. Probably native made somewhere.

Need more pics of the sword. The nicks are a big minus, but it has age and might still be restorable. Not economically viable I am sure, but since when do we collectors do what makes sense? :D

Brian

First glance: nice looking Tadamitsu signature and date. Nice family of smiths.

Blade looks like someone decided to go hacking brush and tree limbs with it.

Might restore, but would lose a fair bit of metal.

The sword is not dead, but going to require some serious care and risk taking to get her back.

If Sherryl is in a state near any known reliable collectors, might consider directing her to them so that they can check the blade for hagire.

Probably the tsuba and lone fuchi should be sold seperate.

[sherryl, tsuba = sword guard

fuchi = the little pretty black copper n gold piece that rests up against the tsuba

Usually the fuchi is part of a set of 2 pieces. When it is alone like that, having lost its companion from the end of the hilt-- we call them 'orphan' or 'orphan fuchi'.]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..