Mixed metal inlay vase

While not strictly on topic, I believe the metalwork and inlay is related to koshirae work.

I recently picked up this small bronze? vase from the estate of a sword collector, and would be interested in knowing if anyone can translate the signature. Not an easy one.

There are 2 larger vases that are not signed, but have similar themes with roosters and foliage. The other 2 feature plum trees and roosters, unlike this one which has bamboo. I can see the patina has suffered, but I like them for the intricate mixed metal inlays.

Thanks,

Brian

vase3.jpg

vase2.jpg

vase4.jpg

vase5.jpg

Hi Brian, This is, I believe, what is known as 'Tokin". Supposedly metalwork of this kind was created for domestic and particularly for foreign markets by metalworkers who had to find a market when armour and fittings became redundant in the Meiji period. Some excellent work around and these look good. If only the patina evident around the neck was still on the body of the piece. Could you not have it repaired? John

John,

Yes, I think this is from Meiji, and with all those out of work metalworkers, I'd rather they did vases like this than make fuchi kashira into bracelets and jewellery boxes :)

I agree that the original patina was likely the one visible around the neck. If so, then could this be shakudo? Unlikely I guess, just a thought.

I would be scared to play with the patina, as any treatment might affect the inlayed metals. I guess this is why there are experts in this, but none in SA that I know about.

Maybe Ford Hallam would have some thoughts on it. Signature is a difficult one to translate.

Brian

Outstanding work Markus! :D

Thanks very much. Even with my copy of "Dictionary of Japanese (Sôsho) writing forms" I was clueless where to begin.

No idea who he was, but this will give me something to research.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Stephen,

Yes, you have a point. To be honest, I can't really decide how this was done. I can't find signs that it is indeed inlay, but the detail is very fine, and it may have been done with the mercury methods or other means of transfering the thin overlay onto the base metal. There is lots of fine carving too that you can feel, and none of the contrasting metal is lost anywhere. Considering this is only about 10cm high, the detail is very well done. Fine chisel work on the feathers and bamboo that you can feel with your fingertips. It is definitely silver and gold on there, so not sure how it was applied. The other 2 do show signs of some inlay, but it is very fine work also in minute detail.

Brian

Got this reply in a pm from Ford Hallam.

Thanks Ford, great info!

Brian

The vase is Meiji, no question. The design is in true inlay, hira-zogan. Silver, copper, gold, at least 2 types of shibuichi. The vase itself is sentoku, that basically an intermediate bronze/brass. The very dark bottle green/black colour is actually a result of pollutants in the air that the piece has been exposed to over the last 100 years. The original colour was a warm ochre. Many vases which look just like this bear the mark of the Nogawa company. It's a "no" hiragana in a square which actually contains the kanji kawa~river. Some estimates, based on Bakufu records, show that there were some 16000 metalcarving artisans who somewhat disrupted by the Haitorei. Your man is no doubt one of the many. It is highly unlikely that you'll find anything about the individual artists of works like these. Also, the fitting makers used different mei on non sword related items.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..