Is this katana worth a buy?

Papers are from the NBTHK-no one of any great consequence???? :dunno:

My mistake, when I had a quick glance at the pics, this is the pic I saw, and assumed it was one of the dealer papers.

Still think the nakago is odd though. It won't end at that price, and seems the seller is inviting off auction offers by posting his email and tel number. :quiet:

Brian

Ive already made an offer. It was buy it now for $2000 but I bid twice. I should have just bought it, now some dealer will so they can sell it back plus $1000 dollars :(

Check out the mekugi ana on the sword and the paper.

Then look at how the nakago looks now, how it looked then, and what happened. Tread lightly....

Brian

Im trying to see what you mean but the holes and the nakago look exactly the same as in the photos on the nbthk paper. I'm just a beginner, what is it precisely that you are looking at that may be a problem?

Thanks for the help :)

Trent Spencer

Check out the mekugi ana on the sword and the paper.

Then look at how the nakago looks now, how it looked then, and what happened. Tread lightly....

Brian

Im trying to see what you mean but the holes and the nakago look exactly the same as in the photos on the nbthk paper. I'm just a beginner, what is it precisely that you are looking at that may be a problem?

Thanks for the help :)

Trent Spencer

i think that brian is referring to the fact that in the picture where he is holding the kanteisho up to the window to show the watermark, there only appears to be a single ana. in the other picture however, there are two.

maybe a trick of the eye, but strange.

in any case, not recommended to buy your first sword on ebay. it is less a place for bargains and more a place to get burned by shenanigans when it comes to nihonto.

blade seems to have gone *poof!*

i guess the seller got the off-ebay deal he wanted, without having to deal with fees and buyer protection through ebay!

Yeah because I bought it outside ebay ;) ill post pictures when I get it. No way im paying ebays fees ;)

blade seems to have gone *poof!*

i guess the seller got the off-ebay deal he wanted, without having to deal with fees and buyer protection through ebay!

Yeah because I bought it outside ebay ;) ill post pictures when I get it. No way im paying ebays fees ;)

you don't pay ebay fees as the buyer, you pay as the seller. now you have no recourse in case the blade has a problem, or is never delivered. also, this is a violation of ebay policy. but you probably know all that and don't need me to tell you. good luck on the sale; i hope it works out.

You don't pay ebay fees as the buyer but the seller will lower the price by $250 (in this case) that you would pay through ebay to avoid the fees. Also you have exactly the same protection when you pay a paypal invoice as you do on ebay. The buyer protection is the same. Ive done it before, claimed it and got my money back. The only thing im doing wrong is cheating ebay out of their fee, which doesn't really make me lose any sleep.

Trent Spencer

If I remember correctly, if a seller doesn't sell too often, has a low seller score or is new to Ebay, doesn't Ebay hold the money for 30 days? (think its 30 days, may be less). If you have sent him the money via paypal, will he not have access to the funds immediately?

If I remember correctly, if a seller doesn't sell too often, has a low seller score or is new to Ebay, doesn't Ebay hold the money for 30 days? (think its 30 days, may be less). If you have sent him the money via paypal, will he not have access to the funds immediately?

Yes but that isn't how buyer protection works. You get refunded if you don't receive it and his account goes into debt. Paypal pays you then chases him for the money. Ive had is happen before. Id never send $2000 through a system I didn't understand. Plus I spoke to the guy, he was going to keep the sword. I talked him into selling it through paypal and showed him step by step how to do it. Ill post pics of the sword when I get it :) He seemed like a very honest person as well, I was happy to buy from him.

Trent Spencer

:lol: hahaha I didn't talk to him first I just sniped his auction xD wish I had of asked. I usually do, you know how it is the one time you don't. btw if anyone here can help out with that mei id appreciate it. Its in the online auction section.

Trent Spencer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..