Is this katana worth a buy?

For that kind of money I would pass. The blade seems to have seen MANY polishes of the course of its life and is not in the greatest shape as it sits. For $4000, you can get yourself a beautiful Katina in spectacular condition from any of the reputable dealers listed in our link section.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,

Kurt.K

This thread presents a good argument of why it is so important for newbies to find their way to the sword shows in order to explore the wide range of choices available and to get a taste of what is out there, especially and including seeing some of the very best nihonto. It really is an eye and mind opening experience that with any luck will help develop one's view of nihonto, so that good swords will begin looking like good swords, and bad swords will begin to hurt one's eye as the Japanese would say.

Post subject: Is this katana worth a buy
No....you made a good decision by asking here first, if you continue to do this BEFORE actually buying a sword you will probably not regret the sword you eventually do end up buying,

This thread presents a good argument of why it is so important for newbies to find their way to the sword shows in order to explore the wide range of choices available and to get a taste of what is out there, especially and including seeing some of the very best nihonto. It really is an eye and mind opening experience that with any luck will help develop one's view of nihonto, so that good swords will begin looking like good swords, and bad swords will begin to hurt one's eye as the Japanese would say.

I agree, im saving up to go to Japan for a couple of months in two years or so. There aren't any sword shows or clubs anywhere in my part of the world (Western Australia) I think there are a few knowledgeable collectors but I don't think they want to be schooling me :) good advice though.

T Spencer

You might be surprised. I would contact those that are within travelling distance and see where theirs and yours interest lie. It is even casual conversation that can spark a moment of clarity. John

Well im in Perth Western Australia and im 25 and I collect old swords from Japan :)

Trent Spencer

I have a feeling you have far more collectors around you than you realize. :)

Brian

If any of these collectors have a copy of CONNOISSEUR'S BOOK OF Japanese SWORDS that they would like to sell or show me their collections and teach me a thing or too id greatly appreciate it :)

Trent Spencer

Trent like others have said there might be a lot more collectors around you than you know. :)

You might want to go to Perth Arms & Militaria fair 2014: http://www.waarmsandarmour.com/events

Here is thread about last years event in NMB: /viewtopic.php?f=6&p=146818

Our Aussie forumites can direct you better than I can towards fellow collectors in your area. :)

Trent like others have said there might be a lot more collectors around you than you know. :)

You might want to go to Perth Arms & Militaria fair 2014: http://www.waarmsandarmour.com/events

Here is thread about last years event in NMB: http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/nmb/ ... 6&p=146818

Our Aussie forumites can direct you better than I can towards fellow collectors in your area. :)

Ive been there before, I set up a stall to sell all of my Pops old militaria that he didn't want and I took a couple of swords. He too old to get rid of it himself which is really disappointing. I'll be going in June just to look and ill be setting up another stall at the bigger two day one at the end of the year. I might have met people from this forum there before and not realized it. The only real sword seller there is from nihonto Australia once a year and his swords are overpriced, so there isn't much option to buy.

From memory someone was telling me that they had a room full of Japanese blades. Would have loved to see that but I doubt he would just going showing people.

T Spencer

Post subject: Is this katana worth a buy
No....you made a good decision by asking here first, if you continue to do this BEFORE actually buying a sword you will probably not regret the sword you eventually do end up buying,

Thanks! :) when I learn enough ill return the favor one day haha

T Spencer

Papers are from the NBTHK-no one of any great consequence???? :dunno:

$1000 for a Hozon papered blade in decent condition? I don't think it's such a bad deal. No treasure, but what do you expect for $1000? You can hardly buy a mass produced Seki WWII gunto for that anymore...

$1000 for a Hozon papered blade in decent condition? I don't think it's such a bad deal. No treasure, but what do you expect for $1000? You can hardly buy a mass produced Seki WWII gunto for that anymore...

I thought it was great value, please dont bid on it :) haha

T Spencer

My mistake, when I had a quick glance at the pics, this is the pic I saw, and assumed it was one of the dealer papers.

Still think the nakago is odd though. It won't end at that price, and seems the seller is inviting off auction offers by posting his email and tel number. :quiet:

Brian

$_57.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..