Yumi, quiver, carrier and yanone

b.hennick

I am not sure if this is the right place for this topic. In any case I am posting a link to photos of recently acquired yumi etc.

I am including here two images showing the size and shape of the bows. All information would be welcome. I will start a separate thread asking for translation of the writing on the quiver.

post-46-14196908682926_thumb.jpg

post-46-14196908686191_thumb.jpg

Here is the link to the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir? ... feat=email

Edited to change the link. I hope this works on your computer.

Some find that the Picassa link does not work. Google+ may require permission to view (ugh) my email address is barry@hennick.ca Glad to grant permission if necessary.

Very nice collection!

The shape of the black and red YUMI reminds me of a similar one I once owned. It was from KYUSHU.

The quiver looks like a version of a SHIKO. The two separate unusual YANONE are perhaps not Japanese, as they do not look as carefully made as I am used to see.

The writing on the red bow is KAISHO, difficult to read for non-Japanese.

Dear Barry,

I must disagree with Jean C. ........ the arrow points and arrow are most certainly Japanese. Although two are not of high quality, ... they are non the less the real McCoy ! I have similar examples in my collection which were purchased from Japan at least 30 years ago ... long before the Chinese entered the copy/fake scene.

I would also congratulate you on the Yumi purchases you made. Both examples are very very nice. Good to see ... thank you !

... Ron Watson

According to many scholars the arrow with the two prongs is not a rope cutter but an arrow designed to have a larger surface to hit things

Henk-Jan,

You are 100% correct. The so called rope cutters have flatter sharp edges whereas these Y shaped heads simply increased your chance of hitting.

... Ron Watson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..