Help needed : Raiden Tsuba

DanielLee

Hi guys,

A quick intro, I'm a new member residing in Singapore. Bought my first nihonto, a komihara katana from Aoi a few weeks ago and I've been following the posts on this message board ever since.

Need some help with a tsuba I got, its signed Ishiguro Masaaki (sp?) and based on a painting by another artist (have yet to translate his name). I'm think its gimei, but bought it because I like the Raiden theme.

Would you be able to tell any additional information on this piece? Is it a mass produced item? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Daniel

Raiden1.jpg

Raiden2.jpg

Raiden3.jpg

Daniel,

Congratulation for getting a KoMihara as first sword, that is a top school!!

For NMB members interested, a tip: when buying a Hozon papered sword from Aoi Art and wanting to know the quality (TH level or not), ask Tsuruta san to go see Tanobe sensei for a sayagaki - the cost must be about 75000 yen. It is worth it for if Tanobe san accepts to put a sayagaki, it will give you not only an added value but it will confort you in your buy.

About six month ago, there was an Hozon Naoe Shizu blade on Aoi Art site for 1,4MY and which was discounted to 1,3 MY.

A friend of mine was looking for buying a sword and was wondering what to buy on Aoi Art site, I told himm that this sword was a deal (Mukansa polish), it has a an old shirasaya with an impressive sayagaki.

He went into negociation with Tsuruta san but kept on asking question, worried. After few emails, I told him to see if Tsuruta san could bring the sword in a new shirasaya to Tanobe san and have a sayagaki.

First time (and probably last one) I saw this : it came back with a sayagaki : the comment on the blade are no less then 36 kanji by two columns (72 in total), even on juyo I have not seen such comments.

This sword was certainly a deal but difficult to see from the pictures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..