Help with identifying Tsuba....

Tanasie

Your tsuba is Echizen. I should be able to read the name right off, but it escapes me at the moment and I am without my books.

Your avatar is a nice tsuba. I owned it at one point. I found it in Japan. I know it doesn't show up in the photos, but have you noticed how the sukashi of the flowers floats on the grainline of the tosho tsuba?

Good luck!

Dear Ludolph,

Ah yes... I am dense headed.

I should have known that.

I have never studied the Echizen Kinai very much. Dragon theme is common in that school. There was a book out about the Echizen school a few years ago, but I did not pick up a copy. It was not a cheap book, but someone might loan you a copy. I believe it is the one photographed in Ludolph's link.

Hi Deron, being sneaky huh ?, I am betting this is signed Yamashiro no Kuni Umetada Saku.

Yes the Umetada group did dragons, as did many other schools. The Umetada dragon guards could have a lot of similarities to the Echizen, or is that the other way around ?. Either way, have a look at Mal Cox's link Ludolf placed a couple of posts above. It is pretty informative.

Cheers

Rich

What is the theme? Is it a dragon in the clouds?

Hi Henry, yes, the dragon is holding a ken or the sacred sword of Shinto (?)) in his tail and there is usally the sacred orb or jewel in one hand.He is usually seen flying through clouds or bursting out of the water.

There is some neat information on this Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dragon

Cheers

Rich

Hi Deron, being sneaky huh ?, I am betting this is signed Yamashiro no Kuni Umetada Saku.

Yes the Umetada group did dragons, as did many other schools. The Umetada dragon guards could have a lot of similarities to the Echizen, or is that the other way around ?. Either way, have a look at Mal Cox's link Ludolf placed a couple of posts above. It is pretty informative.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Nahh... not me. It's not signed. I looked at that webpage (above), very good BTW, and saw the Umetada tsuba and thought it was close to what I had and wondered if it was possible that it was an Umetada tsuba?

Cheers,

Deron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..