Miboku Tsuba -

Deron Douglas

Hi,"Miboku" was a Go sometimes used by several Hamano artists.The first was Hamano Masayuki (1696-1769),the founder of the Hamano school.Why Haynes has put him as Shozui (H08803) only and not as Masayuki (from the Kanji both names are possible) as nearly every other author does,shall be his secret!

He used it alone or in combination with Otsuriuken.His son Masayoshi who died,when his father was still alive,is said to have used Miboku too.After the death of Masayoshi he adopted his pupil Kaneyuki,who became the 2nd hereditery Hamano master.He also used Miboku or Otsuriuken Miboku.According to the books,2 Hamano artists of the 19th century did the same:Masanobu and Masayoshi.

I have checked your Mei but was unable to find a match.It's definitely not from the Hamano founder:nearly every Tsuba without papers is faked.Ludolf

Just for the sake of reference, I have attached a photo of a Hamano Masayuki (Shozui) fuchi /kashira I own. It has NBTHK Hozon papers.

The original Masayuki has what I find to be a distinct signature, though it evolved over his life.

As for Haynes- well... he did that on quite a few people. Christies London insists that Hirotoshi is the wrong reading and that all educated Europeans know that Haynes is wrong. "What!?", I said.

I tend to agree with Haynes.

Thank you for the information Ludolph.

post-51-14196738992938_thumb.jpg

The original Masayuki has what I find to be a distinct signature, though it evolved over his life.

Is there any reference detailing the evolution of his signature?

I have a kozuka signed Shozui, which is probably gimei, but I always hope!!

By the way, Deron... gimei or not, I think that Tsuba is awesome... just fits my particular highest preference on types of tsuba...

Cheers

Thanks Ludolf and Curran, when I bought this I wasn't paying too close attention to the signature. I've learnt that most times it's gimei anyway and I just buy based on the skill and whether I like it or not. It's just later, after buying, that I start researching the signature/artist.

I read similar, but what you indicated Ludolf, filled in a few blanks.

Thanks Curran for the samples. Love the Fuchi/kahira.

Cheers,

Deron

By the way, Deron... gimei or not, I think that Tsuba is awesome... just fits my particular highest preference on types of tsuba...

Cheers

Thanks Sencho. The carving detail is extremely well done. The picture is about twice as large as the actual tsuba. My eye sight is pretty bad and I can't see the tiny details (getting old I guess), so I use a desk magnifier with a ring light. I'm always amazed at how this was done... I can't see the details, so I find it hard to imagine someone carving them. I know this was hand carved since the cuts at so crisp (using the magnifier). Out of curiosity I may buy a microscope to view the inner recesses of tsuba.

Thanks!

Deron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..