Do we need a non-sense chapter in this forum?

Hello Brian,

I would like to to react to your statement about dredging up weeks old posts.

On many forums throughout the world there are non-sense section in which the members can post silly stuff, humour each other and in general add anything the moderators agree with.

This is often a very nice part of any forum.

Personally I feel that we could do with such a section on this forum too, however I do not know wether the members (maybe apart from Milt) would welcome such a section...

Dredging up weeks old posts is in my view inherent to the fact that the messaging system on this forum does not work as it should.

Often after reacting to a post, there will be no e-mail notices about other reactions, and when you have a busy life and do not have the time to view this forum every day, dredging up, or even reacting to posts which you have not been able to read up on, is in my honest opinion only natural.

so I do not understand the problem here.

best wishes,

KM

Old posts remain on the forum and are valuable info, and can be searched for anytime. The problem with dredging up old posts is that sometimes there are interesting new and current posts, and "bumping" an old and dead topic only to add something totally off topic moves those new posts down the list where they can be easily missed, and serves no real purpose.

If there is valid and interesting (not to mention on topic) info, then I don't mind how old the post is, feel free to add to it. This has not always been the case though, and when the banter gets out of hand, it is me who has to field the complaint emails, so I am asking nicely that we keep on topic please. I am not banning the occasional funny comment or banter at all. Logic will tell you when it has gone on long enough. Some threads get back on track and provide excellent info. 6 posts one after the other about nothing relevant is obviously too much though. Just asking that everyone use their own discression, or don't mind when me or the moderators use theirs :)

As for a general discussion forum, I did ask about that a long time ago, and the overwhelming member views were against it. This isn't about me...I go with what is good for Nihonto and what the members want. As was said "there are enough other forums for that sort of thing"

This tries to be a serious educational forum, and if you compare it with other non-Nihonto forums (of which I am on many) we are really not that strict comparatively. It also has to be fun, hence the allowance for occasional banter. I think we all love to see Rich T getting un-serious for a second and posting a wisecrack, and would hate to lose Milt's sense of humor :D

I made the offer of setting up a general discussion forum that is totally invisible to anyone who does not choose to view it. Only added members would see it, by their own request.

The offer did not interest many people. If there is enough request for it, I can make it happen.

Input is always welcome, and thanks for the comments.

Brian

I am not THAT serious. Am I ?

Anyway, Brian, you are the big cheese here, and most people will do as you say LOL (yeah right)

You could just try it out, and if it turns out not to be popular, then trash it. I did that with sections on the old NMB, if members didn't like it, they wouldn't use it. It's pretty simple.

Mind you, you won't catch me on it, damm stupid idea really.

Rich

"This tries to be a serious educational forum, and if you compare it with other non-Nihonto forums (of which I am on many) we are really not that strict comparatively. It also has to be fun, hence the allowance for occasional banter. I think we all love to see Rich T getting un-serious for a second and posting a wisecrack, and would hate to lose Milt's sense of humor

I made the offer of setting up a general discussion forum that is totally invisible to anyone who does not choose to view it. Only added members would see it, by their own request.

The offer did not interest many people. If there is enough request for it, I can make it happen. "

an invisible forum ? What kind of stupid idea is that ? Like victims of Borat signing a release to be made fun of BEFORE it happens ?

The whole idea is to be caught unaware when the bunch line hits !!

A little humor helps in the " flow " of the discussion on serious topics. There will be people whose humor runs dry like the wells in Kabul ( really, this dude resigns from message boards more than once everytime a joke pops up curtesy of you know who....LOL :badgrin: ).......... of course everything in moderation, like I enjoy XO cognac but I do not drink like a fish ( now Jean doesn't need to worry when he cooks me that French meal he promised ).

YES, Trickie, you are too fuc%$# SERIOUS ....... you are a knocklehead ( in a loving way ).

Milt the ronin

Anyway, Brian, you are the big cheese here,

Free and democratic board unless Brian says so, right?.... actually I am quite happy with that!! :D

Human nature, unfortunately, means there is a big problem with too much freedom!!...

Brian.. no one else (except Rich T previously) has stepped up to the plate and run this board... so I am happy with anything you wish to dictate! You are doing a damn good job and I am not going to argue with any decision you make, whether I like it or not. ;)

Cheers!

ps... even if I am a whinging pom!!!

:lol:

Hi to All,

I love Milt Humor, I love Brian wiseness, I love Rich when he becomes serious and gives freely away his knowledge (even if I had to push him once or twice to get an answer and get a piece or even a lecture on fittings - Thanks mate), I won't talk about Darcy whose knowledge and kindness are acknowledged by all NMB Members (I hope). I have not mentioned our Japanese resident friends and Koichi who does not leave anything to others ..

From time to time I like to go wild, it is a pleasure with Milt, I am 55 and life is too short to be taken seriously. I confess I can go off topic (mind you, not always) but I can be serious and matter of fact and share my ignorance (Damn it, I did it again :lol: :lol: ).

The only thing I am sure and by which I stand is :

- NO INFLATED EGO

- LENIENCY

- COURTESY : you shall never see me criticizing another one opinion, discussing it perhaps even if I am upset from time to time.

- MODESTY : we are not at University, so we are not split in different levels, unless I am mistaking nobody in NMB has a Dan/degree in Nihonto (though no doubt some of you deserve - I am not including myself).

and

HUMOR :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am part of NMB and out of it as I am free to leave (remember Darcy leaving some boards) but if I am a member, it is because of NMB members diversity and richness of opinion.

maybe, Milt.... but can you imagine if you or I, or certain other members ran this.... it would be a complete bloody fiasco...

I refuse to take the bait, Kapitan, you are a very naugthy boy :lol: .

OK, moderation is the keyword.

Totally agree with all the points raised.

GREAT message board where knowledge is freely shared, I particularly like the international flavor, we have members from Sweden, Norway, Deustchland, UK, Ozzieland( still waiting for that fine bottle of red ), Netherland, France (ops, should have list France first.....). Japan, S'pore, US of A etc.etc.......just think about all the free meals promised !! It's bloody awesome !!

Feel free to wack the mole when I get " out of hand ", Brian..........

milt the ronin

Thanks for the comments all, much appreciated.

Just out of interest, according to the stats, we have about 24 or more countries regularly visiting here:

USA

Australia

United Kingdom

Japan

France

Germany

Canada

Poland

Netherlands

Belgium

Italy

Denmark

US Government

Finland

Singapore

Austria

US Military

Switzerland

Norway

US Educational

Israel

Ireland

New Zealand

Sweden

Brazil

South Africa

Luxembourg

Amazes me too :) (Good to see some of you are US educational, and I am sure Milt will love the US Military stats too :)

There are some others that are unresolved countries. Thought you might enjoy the stats.

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

It shows that on a very narrow field of interest (huge for us, I must confess), the NMB has an international success and this is due to you Brian/Rich and all active members.

I raise my hat to all of you mates!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thanks again, and let's not forget the constant and invaluable help provided by our all vigilant moderator Stephen. Long after I am in bed and dreaming about Kamakura tachi, he is uploading pics for people and policing the forum as he should. Don't think I could keep up without him. Anyone who run a forum will tell you that they can't do it without good moderators :)

Just a public thanks to him here.

Regards,

Brian

sorry for leaving Stephen out. yes, the support of the moderators is essential. I guess I was pointing out in my previous thread that Rich S started the NMB, I took over from him, then Brian from me, but the board is way way bigger than the 3 of us combined. it is quite an amazing beast really.

A big hearty slap on the back for everyone, and beers on me at the next NMB meeting.

Rich

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..