Swords to view in Singapore and Hong Kong?

Hi all,

We're headed to Singapore and Hong Kong shortly for port visits and I was wondering if anyone knew of a museum or other venue that would have swords available for viewing? Shops for buying/browsing? I've looked on the internet and haven't been able to find any leads.

Thanks in advance,

Red Anjin

avoid the antques shops at Hollywood road or any road for that matter in Hong Kong ( and Singapore ).....they don't have good swords .

Any Japanese swords that could be authentic are priced out in the stratosphere and meant for tourists . Reason being the locals are not too keen on anything semi related to the " militaristic " past of the Imperial Japanese Army that did some " nasty " things while they occupied HK and Singapore. Any self respecting rich dudes will spend their $ on ceramics, fancy cars , women, and lately artworks of modern Chinese artists...... at least by doing that, they don't have to explain to their friends why they " worship " the " enemy " ( sorry, folks, that's the attitidue there, just telling it like it is )

What they have in the local shops are usually fakes from you know where ( might as well buy them at 99 cents + outrageous shipping on E-Bay ) .

I am not saying there's no serious collectors in HK, but I bet you can count their numbers without involving the toes.

So........... if you can get hold of Rog the flyboy, do so, I think his collection is the only good one in HK ( unless he has some local sword friends in the closet I am not aware of ).

milt the ronin ( an ex-colonial who has done a lot of explaining why I prefer Japanese arts to friends in HK )

BUT.......

I did see an authentic edo period armour with original box about 10 years ago in one of the antique shop.

Asking price...........50,000 UNITED STATES DOLLARS ( yes, that's the opening gambit, you are suppose to bargain )

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..