modern blades in Japan

This question came up from a NMB member on a Yoshihara Yoshindo that's up for auction on Ebay. Does the Minister of culture dept. check the mei for authentication on modern blades? or do they just register the sword. Some of or Nippon members should be able to help here.

Q: What documentation will come with the proving it was made by Master Yoshindo? Thank you, Bill Marsh Jul-11-07

A: We have only the registration paper. we will be able to sned a copy with the sword. We will apply export license to minister of culture. we will have to return the original to the register office. we don't think theier is fake signature of registered modern blade in Japan. Minister of culture department controls number of modern blades in Japan .

How about a oshigata of Yoshido...any one....??

I have photos of a Yoshihara's katana including mei that was for sale on AOI a couple of years ago. That sword was also made in 1973 so it's very good for comparison. I'm not sure whether iy's okay with Brian to post them on NMB...Brian???

I do not know the actual procedures to register a Shinsakuto. This post is only my supposition.

As for Shinsakuto (新作刀; newly made sword), a Seisaku-shoninsho (製作承認証; approval of making) is required instead of Hakken-todoke (発見届) when it is registered by the Prefectural Education Board. Seisaku-shoninsho is issued to the smith by the Cultural Agency (Bunka-chô 文化庁).

Although I do not know its format, I think that the smith name may be written on the approval. If so, it seems to be almost impossible to register a gimei sword if it is a Shinsakuto. As a result, the mei on the issued Torokusho will be genuin in most cases, eventhough the Tôrokushô is not a certificate of authenticity.

Sorry for the late reply folks. Having major internet problems at work.

I have no problems with you posting the pic here. Unless Aoi specifically request for their pics not to be used, I am sure they wouldn't mind in this case, and since they were posted publicly on the website anyways, I don't see a problem.

If anyone objects to the posting of any of their own pics under copyright, they just have to mention to me, and they will be gladly removed.

Regards,

Brian

If anyone objects to the posting of any of their own pics under copyright, they just have to mention to me, and they will be gladly removed.

Regards,

Brian

Okay, following are pics/meis from two swords made by Yoshindo Yoshihara both in 1973. The first one is for sale on eBay and it’s the one Stephen referred to. The second one was for sale on AOI couple of years ago. I'm no expert in comparing the meis and I'd leave that to the more experienced members.

post-45-14196738907165_thumb.jpg

post-45-1419673890841_thumb.jpg

post-45-14196738911254_thumb.jpg

W.Y...

I think the answer to that is that it was Bill's question that prompted the enquiry in the first post :)

Bill, welcome to the forum, hopefully we will see more from you and perhaps an introduction :)

Regards,

Brian

W.Y...

I think the answer to that is that it was Bill's question that prompted the enquiry in the first post :)

Bill, welcome to the forum, hopefully we will see more from you and perhaps an introduction :)

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Should I bring my marsupial? :lol:

Regards,

Bill

:lol: We like to be thorough here :D

(For those wondering, Bill has a pic posted somewhere on the 'net with a possum? on his shoulder)

..At least I hope that was you Bill?

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, that was me. My wife and I like the little creatures. We don't do this anymore, our new pets are a pair of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

W.Y...

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Brian for your correction, I had a quick look at the thread before work and it was the first posting by Bill that caught me unaware.

Now that the auction is over care to comments about the blade?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..