What do you think of this wakizashi -pics added

jrg

Hello - I bought this wakizashi several years ago as part of a fund raiser for a renovation of a veterans lodge. Was hoping to get everyone's thoughts on the piece - quality, age, maker, etc. look forward to any comments. Thanks! Length of the blade in the last pic is 19 3/8 inches. John Gannon

post-2985-14196896553174_thumb.jpg

post-2985-14196896553897_thumb.jpg

post-2985-14196896555012_thumb.jpg

post-2985-14196896556612_thumb.jpg

post-2985-141968965585_thumb.jpg

Kevin,

I am most likely wrong, but the closest I can read the mei is Kanetora. I can find only one Kanetora of the Kiyomaro school, making this sword shinshinto. The second kanji was tough for me to read. Other than that, I don't have any more info for you. I am completely ignorant of shinshinto swords. Close up pictures of the hamon and boshi would be great.

Regards,

Hoanh

Hi, your wakizashi was likely made in the 1400-1500s in Mino province, where there were many smiths using names starting in 兼KANE. The second kanji looks a little strange to me, but Morita-san says it's Kanehiro, so you can bet he's right... (I can see it, but it looks like there are extra strokes or something) ---- Anyway...

Even though this sword is probably not worth so much out of polish (or even in polish- 2 - 3 grand?), it could be a nice looking ubu Mino wakizashi if restored by someone who will do it right... You can read many posts here about the right and wrong ways to restore. Basically --- don't, unless you're trained... other than oiling and keeping clean the blade.

BTW, it has enough potential not to go chopping limbs with it... ;) ... in other words, it should be preserved...

From your description, it sounds like a naginata naoshi or wakizashi made in the style of a naginata naoshi. In either case, the slight thickening near the tip is normal. Can you get close up pictures of the boshi? I am interested in knowing if the boshi has a turn back? It will tell us something about the sword. I suspect that we will see a turn back on the boshi.

Regards,

Hoanh

John,

I believe I see a boshi turn back on both sides. So, your sword doesn't have a reshaped kissaki. There are a lot of Kanehiro listed. Although many of them are Mino sword smiths, some are not. For instance, in addition to Mino, I see Kanehiro listed from Echizen, Echigo, Hizen, etc.

If you want to learn more about your sword, you will need to build up a library and read up on the characteristics of different time periods, traditions, schools, smiths, etc. Even with books, it's a long, tough road, but it's an important part of learning and collecting. There is no short cut. It's a process that I absolutely suck at, but am trying to improve. You will also need to check the mei (signature) against your reference library to see if you can find a smith that signs with two characters, with (nearly) identical kanji strokes, as what's on your sword. Also, your sword will need to be in decent polish for subtle features to be seen. Simply seeing the hamon is not enough, and in poor polish, the hada, an important part of the artistic appeal of Nihonto, cannot be seen.

It's a steep learning curve, but it will make one appreciate Nihonto more than simple curiosity. You can use the "Search" button to find out what books are recommended to the beginning collector.

I wish you lots of fun on your learning journey.

Regards,

Hoanh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..