Thinking about buying

Hi, here are some pics of a katana that is up for auction. I was wondering what the members here think. He says it has a 28" nagasa and is attributed to Naminohira from Satsuma province Kamakura period.

I don't really plan on bidding on it (it'll probably go over what I can afford anyhow, I should have bid on bullpuppy's) but am curious. Especially because aren't the green papers the one's know to have problems.

post-290-14196738802239_thumb.jpg

post-290-14196738808086_thumb.jpg

post-290-14196738808459_thumb.jpg

post-290-14196738809122_thumb.jpg

post-290-14196738809424_thumb.jpg

Hi Waynes,

Fine blade, I like the suguta : very elegant. It fits (from the picture) Yamato den so it could be Ko Naminohira. Kyushu Island, in Kamakura, was mainly influenced by Yamato/Yamashiro schools. Later on we find some Soshu influence.

The kanteisho seems brand new

Back to work :)

Thank you very much Jean. There's something about this katana that I really like and am thinking about giving it a shot I'm selling off some of my other interests for some extra cash. The seller does offer an inspection period. I would be very grateful if one of our members could translate the kanteisho for me. Thank you.

The paper was issued by Nihon Bijutsu Token Club (日本美術刀剣倶楽部) which seems to be presided over by Miki Yoshikazu (三木義和) in Osaka.

The paper says as follows (loosely);

katana: unsigned (attributed to Naminohira)

certified as an excellent work

[notes]

Jigane: O-itame naregeru

Hamon: hoso-suguha, komidare

Boshi: hakikake gokoro

It seems to be a work of Naminohira School in early Muromachi as it has a good shape and an old-fashioned style.

seems to be linked to the Nihon Bushido Token Denno Kurabu.

Hi Rich,

I do not think that the group has something to do with the Nihon Bijutsu Token Club (日本美術刀剣倶楽部). I have been aware of the group for several years. Main members of the group seem to be nihonto fans in Tokushima-ken (徳島県) and they seem to have some relationships with NBTHK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..