Tanto Ken

Eduardo,

It is indeed a "Ken" style tanto in it's current mounting. The signature translates to "Fujiwara Hisayuki Saku".

The first impression that I got was that it was a shortened yari (spear), because of the odd shape of the nakago at the blade transition, the mekugiana being cut right into the signature, and the fact that the signature is so close to the bottom of the nakago suggests the nakago was much longer.

I looked up the smith and discovered that he is noted for making spears, so this confirms my suspicions of the blade having been reshaped for remounting into a tanto. The mounts are quite interesting and at a first glance because of the number of fakes coming out these days, one might conclude that they are newer or of chinese origins. However I believe this is an example of mounts that were made to accomodate the kind of wear Western attire might require after the Meiji restoration and westernization that Japan experienced in the later half of the 19th century, or perhaps for attaching to something such at a military back pack or saddle. It appears to me to be an example of utilizing a blade that would not have been practical (or legal) in Meiji Era Japan in it's original form of a spear.

The mounts appear to be in pretty good condition. The sword blade could use a professional polish. The odd nature of the mounts makes for a good candidate for preservation as a transitional period example.

There is another prominant Shinshinto smith named Kawaii Hisayuki from Edo, that also used the same kanji for "yuki" and was also noted for making Yari and Jumonji Yari. I am quite familiar with this smiths works and didn't remember him ever using "fujiwara" in signing blades. So out of academic curiosity, I looked at several known examples in my library and in personal records, he did not sign with fujiwara, and the signature styles are different so this confirms that it is the Hisayuki from Sagami, not the more famous Kawaii Hisayuki from Edo.

Moriyama-san,

It is my belief they are different smiths, though they may very well have been the same age. The fundamental differences in the signatures of Fujiwara Hisayuki and those of Kawaii Hisayuki are too consistant for me to believe otherwise. Looking at Eduardo's example and comparing it to that of the Fujiwara Hisayuki you linked, shows the consistancy between them, yet also the difference to the Kawaii example. The most outstanding is the way the "yuki" is struck with the two nicks crossing the uppermost horizontal on Fujiwara's examples but floating above it on Kawaii examples. This feature of Kawaii work is consistant with the known signatures I've looked up.

Also, I have a katana in my possession by Kawaii Hisayuki dated 1858 and the signature is consistant with the one you linked made in 1863.

Interesting coincidence of names though.

Hisayuki

Shinshinto, Musashi no kuni (Bunsei:1818)

Jo saku

HIS185 TTp517, ¥3M

1.kawai hisayuki saku

2.bakufu shin kawai hisayuki saku

Hisayuki

Gendaito, Musashi no kuni (Meiji:1868)

Chu-jo saku

HIS186 TT: ¥2M

I actually have what I believe to be the later Hisayuki (if again you think they are two different individuals) yet it has an identical nakago to the extant example provided in the link. The hada on my blade is incredible, and the sword is virtually flawless. (though it needs a polish to bring out the best in it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..