unique tanto with kogatana mei translation needed

mercierarmory

It was requested that I post some more pictures so here they are. The menuki were a little loose and easily removable. Even it looks like they were glued on, there appears to have been an old rotting wood core underneath them, I'm not sure what to make of it. As you can see in the attached photos, that core is still firmly attached to the tsuka.

Another thing that has not been mentioned yet is the beautiful embroidered bag that came with it. Maybe 1/4 of the embroidery is coming loose, but the areas that are still tight are very nice.

Finally I added a photo of the handle of the kogatana. The menuki on it is a dragon with his head turned back and gold inlay eyes.

Mike

post-488-14196889652397_thumb.jpg

post-488-14196889655164_thumb.jpg

post-488-14196889658265_thumb.jpg

post-488-14196889665013_thumb.jpg

post-488-14196889672265_thumb.jpg

post-488-14196889684382_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for posting these menuki. I have expressed some opinions about these fittings, but I feel like I am still learning. I still think this is a flashy Bakumatsu sword. BUT the suggestions that it was rigged out for the Yokohama-based foreigner trade is pretty interesting.

The motif of the menuki does bring to mind classic icons of the Meiji era (stand-mounted armor and a birds head tachi). Technologically, tho, they look very much like so-called EZO fittings that we all assume are much older.

I think all that junk you found beneath these menuki is stuff the fitter mixed up in the mastic to attach the menuki.

Where is the seam in the same?

Peter

Something along the lines of 南蛮剛鍮 Namban strong brass; 制戒衣薬元理 with your missing kanji now, original precept of Buddha's garments law of nature medicine. Really need an expert here. John

"制戒衣" part only looks 製 (made) to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..