Ebay Hot Item

Guest Simon Rowson

Nice gold inlay (as engraved by appraisers such as the Honami when they were cutting down a longer blade) and possibly a nice hagire to go with it ...well spotted Brian.

Ok..who's going to put us out of our misery and let us know who made this one? :D

I think for a price to jump that fast and at that rate...people must be seeing something very good. Always a chance it is one of the real sleepers.

You can also tell by how many people have made urgent and not-so-subtle attempts at a buy it now :)

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes. Personally..it looks like the best advice would be for her to pull the auction and seek further info and appraisal. Just my 2c though.

Brian

Stephen,

I have seen that character shown as "Sane" in Yumotos.

Perhaps it can be pronouced either way.

Nihonto Kanji pages show: 真 Zane.

Oshigata on pg 392 of Fujishiro's, are shown as "MasaZane" on pg 173 of the english translations.

Either way, for the bidder who is bidding like crazy on it, I hope it is legit.

It is over $5000 now.

Pete,

That had occurred to me, but I disregarded it due to the fact it didn't seem to make sense. It seemed to me that a name attribution would be more fitting on a mumei sword. Shoshin roughly means authentic or truth. Authentic what ?? Merely an authentic sword ?? What do you think ???

To me the inlay looks poorly done. Maybe an attempt to fool ole gaijin into believing it had to be good with gold writing on it.

Just my worthless opinion, perhaps one of the Big Dogs will come out and enlighten us. :D

Guest Simon Rowson

My wife came up with "Masa Shin" which didn't make any sense to either of us - hence my not posting it. She did say that the second kanji was a variation of "Makoto" (sincerity) but, as she's just gone on business to Kobe, I can't ask her for any more details.

Maybe the would-be buyers are tranlating the "Masa" and then wishing the second character into "Mune"! (We'll get a flood of new "I found the Honjo Masamune" posts if that's the case). :badgrin:

Simon

masazane.....have a jumonji yari with that kanji on the NTHK ( OLD Yoshikawa Sensei )paper. Same kanji as that used as" sho shin " on shinsa paper as Pete pointed out.....

the dark line is worrisome though.

milt the ronin

Well...it appears everyone who is bidding is hoping it is Masazane. Not long to go. The seller is confident that it is not a hagire, so let's wish the high bidder good luck with it. Could be the sleeper of the year, or just a nice katana. Definitely the ebay Nihonto auction of the year :)

Can't say I would spend that much online without having it in hand, but apparently there are many who hope for the prize, enough to spend big $'s.

Good luck to the seller and the winner

:)

Brian

Well...it appears everyone who is bidding is hoping it is Masazane. Not long to go. The seller is confident that it is not a hagire, so let's wish the high bidder good luck with it. Could be the sleeper of the year, or just a nice katana. Definitely the ebay Nihonto auction of the year :)

Can't say I would spend that much online without having it in hand, but apparently there are many who hope for the prize, enough to spend big $'s.

Good luck to the seller and the winner

:)

Brian

not a sword dude by any stretch of the imagination.... but what's so great about Masazane ?

koto/shinto Kanabo school , Have one jumonji yari with dragon horimono attributed by NTHK ( Yoshikawa ) To Masazane. Couldn't sell it at the Chicago show ( for a measly 6k ) and now off the btable since my kid wants to keep it for his bedroom wall.

Or............ we are talking about a different Masazane ?

p.s. for the jumonji yari....please click......

http://www.esnips.com/web/nihonto?docsPage=9#files

milt the ronin

from one of the question and answer........

" Hi Mary. The signiture is what they call kin mei (gold signature) and is signed KANESADA. There were a number of smiths who signed this way from the 13 th. century up to modern times and it usually means that the smith was famous when it is gold filled. Don't be too concerned about the mounts, it is ONLY the blade that collectors are interested in. Hope this helps. "

Masazane = Kanesada ?

milt the ronin

Guest Nanshoku-Samurai

Not a bargain in my oppinopn. There is better stuff out there for that amount of money. Only my two cents though.

Max

There were several smith's by the name of Masazane, most mediocre.

It seems that someone was hoping this to be by the Ko-Bizen Masazane, of which there are only three known extant works. He was thought by some to be the son of Awataguchi Masatsugu.

One of the three, a beautiful Tachi, was owned by a good friend and still resides in the US. Dr. Honma dated it to around 1000 BC on the Sayagaki. It was, at least at one time, considered "priceless". I was fortunate to have viewed in hand this genuine Ko-Bizen Masazane.

IMHO, if the buyer of this one on e-bay thought it was by the same Masazane, he may be in for disapointment. ( I hope I am wrong)

But forget my humble opinion, the best reason I can see to believe this sword was not by the famous Masazane is the the final selling price. You can believe all the big money buyers saw this auction, if any had believed it to be THE Ko-Bizen Masazane, it would have been scooped up at the last second for more than any of the active bidders could have fathomed.

Remember a year or more ago, there was a big name sword(I forget who now) on e-bay. It had everyone talking, speculating. It hovered around the 5-7K (not unlike this masazane), then at the last second, BAM it sold for at least three times the high bid. One of the big dogs was lurking quietly, then when the time was right moved in for the kill.

I would assume you meant 1000 AD or CE. I don't think they were making these little gems in 1000 BC -- although perhaps 'they' were and it came along with the alien craft pictured in the tanto hamon...

LOL!

according to the Highlanders, the dude played by Sean married the daughter of Masamune ( King of Japan ) in 500 B.C. and was given a Masamune which he used to lop off other highlanders' heads to get their juice/mojo/power.......... check it out, I kid you not.

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..