Need your opinion

Lsne

Im leaving an opinion here as I had a friend on here who requested I do so. First off, I believe the kabuto to be older, but its mis-identified as Nambokucho. In my opinion, dealers are welcome to ask whatever they want for an armor. That is THEIR business. It is the responsibility of the BUYER to figure out whether or not the dealer is trustworthy in their description of the armor or not. At these prices, it is a very serious game to play if you are not an expert. I find in general that the dealers of these armors are indeed not experts, just glorified retail salesmen. Some of the so-called "best" collections in the world are littered with fake and mis-identified pieces. To save money and embarrassment it is best to hire a reliable, qualified, expert to authenticate and properly describe an item. I do this service for several Japanese and international clients so they can feel their investment is solid and know what they are buying.

Best,

Andy

Hello Andy,

I think you're right.

I do not know the store, I've never bought a few things from home but the man inspires confidence and is very nice but I want to have the opinion of a neutral expert, it is important for me

I can not judge the shop knowing that I am not an expert

I think you are the person I needed a full expertise and know to estimate the fair value

How you operate? You have a website?

I am interested to use your services if you are a professional field and you're neutral.

You can send me a pm or give me more details on your method of operation

Regards

Alex

At these prices, it is a very serious game to play if you are not an expert. I find in general that the dealers of these armors are indeed not experts, just glorified retail salesmen. Some of the so-called "best" collections in the world are littered with fake and mis-identified pieces. To save money and embarrassment it is best to hire a reliable, qualified, expert to authenticate and properly describe an item. I do this service for several Japanese and international clients so they can feel their investment is solid and know what they are buying.

Best,

Andy

So Andy from what you are saying you are presenting yourself as an expert, so how do you quantify what makes you an "expert" in samurai armor. Second, lets say that Alex decides that you are indeed an expert, how does he know that you are able to tell if the price of a samurai armor is within the realm of reasonable?

It is not like there is a masters degree available for expertise in samurai armor. For an "expert" to properly judge an armor at this price level they would need to see it first hand in my opinion, that is the only reliable way to tell if the cloth, lace, lacquer, kusari etc are all original and matching to the armor, at this price pictures alone would not be enough for me. Once an armor is examined and it is shown to be exactly as described how do you know what it is worth? Authenticating and properly describing an armor is just the first step, you would need to know what other similar armors have sold for recently.

If as you say

Some of the so-called "best" collections in the world are littered with fake and mis-identified pieces.
what steps would you take to ensure that the buyer you represent would not have the same problem with an armor they would purchase using you as the determining factor.

Before we get into a war here, it would be up to any agent to list his credentials to a potential customer, maybe some references and examples of his prior work. Then the buyer can decide for himself if the services are warranted.

I would prefer people take these negotiations to a private level now. We are available for any questions, but at some point buyers have to take responsibility for their shopping.

I think I know who Andy is, and he isn't a newcommer to this. Let's tread lightly here, and not interfere with the pricing of an item beyond descriptive clarification. This forum does not wish pricing to be the main discussion.

Brian

Not just "another dealer". A very kind and nice guy who (in my case) has always been willing to help with any questions.

Also the author of several good books on the subject.

Condascending tones are not very polite, and I must say that when we answer some questions of someone who is thinking of spending 200.000 Swiss Francs on a piece of armor we should not only be diligent and forthcoming but also able to guide him in the proper direction. That is in my view one of the tasks of members of this forum. It is not to further our own interests but to further knowledge about these things.

We have several top dealers on this forum who sell swords of 50.000 US$, and they also always help out, even when newbies ask questions.

If you have 200.000 Swiss Francs to spend, why not buy an expensive painting one could say.

Well...... It is up to the person spending that amount what he wants to spend it on.

KM

Hi Guys,

Now you know why my participation if forums is rare. A lot of haters and jealous people out there. Yes I do have the credentials. I have written two books on contract from PUBLIC, government affiliated entities. One in Japanese and one in English. Additionally, I have published an array of articles in Japanese and english over many years on the topic. None of my publications are so-called "vanity press" which means I published them myself.... AKA proclaiming myself as an expert. I have also done contract work for number of PUBLIC government organizations as a Japanese armor EXPERT to help them protect, preserve, identify, and restore their collections. I hesitate to give names of those organizations here so as to keep the haters from attempting to badmouth me to such entities. I have a very good name as a trustworthy expert. Forget about the private organizations and individuals I have worked for. In fact some of you have come to me for advice, and some of the dealers you mentioned have contracted me for my services.... all of which I keep confidential to protect them and myself. I am no more a dealer than the rest of you, occasionally selling from my own collection to pay the bills or upgrade. I do specialize in restoration, and advising. I have produced a body of work and been judged by peers. Before slandering somebody on a public forum you may wish to research them first. Much of my public work is available on the internet. This is why in general I do not participate in these forums.

Andy Mancabelli

Andy,

Thanks for clarifying what I knew. Glad to read it.

Btw...forums are no different than real life, except here you get the word out to a larger audience, faster.

And lack of forum participation is one of the reasons many advanced experts do get flak....they are unknown except in very small circles. Yes...the top circles know them, but there are thousands of potential clients that don't move in those circles.

Anyways...before this dissolves into more of the typical year-end back-and-forth, I am locking this thread. There is enough info in here for anyone who wants to pursue anything or contact someone.

Can open it to add info that is actually pertinent and not just criticism.

Brian