here we go as requested larger pics!! armor help

1tallsword

Jeremy, in my opinion there is a good chance that both suits are matching. Of course, without warranty. If it is really so, it has positive effects on the price. Fixing an amount, however, is not so easy and depends from some factors.

Uwe

thanks UWE, you have been a real big help here, as well as some other members too, thank you to all. the suits have been offered to me in the ball park of $6000-$8000 each. what is your opinion on that ? also if you had to pick one, which one would you pick? just curious what suit you think is better or rarer?

Jeremy, it's a matter of taste which armor to prefer. Furthermore, your choice should be in accordance to your collection. The asking price seems reasonable to me (if matching "true" gusoku :doubt: ) I hope there is a bit room for negotiation :D...... :lipssealed:

Uwe

The quality of your pictures is so bad that you are really doing yourself a dis-service, and why are they sideways? If you can afford to buy armor then you can afford a better camera. With the images you have provided there is no way that anyone can give you a proper valuation of either armor, you can not see the condition of the cloth, lacing, or lacquer, and there is no way to see if the individual parts are all original to the armors or if they were put together by someone. All of these things can greatly effect the price. Beg, borrow, or steal a good camera and post some clear detailed images that are properly orientated.

thank you to all that have helped with this, you all have been a great deal of help. Yes Eric I hear you loud and clear! first let me say Uwe is correct the pictures are from the seller,he is older and not the best with a camera. Further more when i asked him about taking some pictures with my camera he was a little hesitant. If you took the time to read my first post I began with an apology for the pictures but it was the best I had to work with, and also stated if nothing could be judged by them than i understand. some folks decided to tune in with there expertise and knowledge that really helped. Unfortunately your expertise came in the form of complaints :lol: thank you. when i go ahead with my purchase i will post better pics ... Jeremy

Jeremy, at $6 to $8k you need to be certain of all the details, no excuse for poor photography in that price range. Poor photography always sets off alarm bells 8). Is there any info from the seller regarding this armour? i assume not as you are seeking advice here. I know nothing of armour, but knowing nothing, i could not buy based on the photos and lack of info from the seller.

Best,Alex.

Yes Eric I hear you loud and clear! Unfortunately your expertise came in the form of complaints :lol: thank you. when i go ahead with my purchase i will post better pics ... Jeremy
You obviously do not hear me, so I will make this clearer.....I would NEVER spend a fraction of the cost you mentioned on an armor if the seller can not provide adequate images, the sellers age is no excuse as forum members much older than I have no problem uploading clear properly sized and orientated images here. The asking price is way out of line unless the armors are of extraordinary quality and with the images provided there is no way of telling. There is no reason in the world that a seller would not want to provide a potential buyer with images to help with a decision when it comes to spending so much money unless the seller has something to hide. My "expertise" comes in the form of YEARS of experience doing exactly what you are now talking about doing here and just because you are not getting the answers you want to hear is not a reason to attack me, I am not "complaining" I am telling you some facts that you can ignore, hopefully other readers will learn to ask questions and pass up buying expensive items whether armor or a sword if the seller can not do any better then this seller Your exact words were

hope you fellas can make some judgments now, anything would help, you all have been great so far, thanks! Jeremy
and this
ive been collecting the swords ..and now the two suites of Armor have dropped on my lap, ive been told early edo? mid level pieces? also i would like to know a ball park figure on prices for possible purchase for my collection.

From these remarks I can see that you have no idea what you are looking at, if you posted this type of topic but were talking about buying a sword instead you would be bombarded with answers telling you to BUY BOOKS INSTEAD!!! before making a purchase, I have no idea why you are not being given the same advice when it comes to buying an armor. So I will be the one to tell you that if you can not tell what types of armors these are and do not know the proper names for the individual parts you should take some time to study the subject before spending a lot of money. There is a dedicated armor forum were you can learn the basics before buying, that is the proper way to go.

I nearly did the same thing after collecting blades for a long time. The dealer I was using at the time and I had a good , 20 year relationship but neither of s knew anything about armour. He bought a complete set and was sure it was OK but not "sure". I trusted him but as it turned out - we were both about to lose too much for what it was worth - mismatched, much later than was stated, many repairs, --it looked"neat" on the stand but then again - a Ferrari without an engine looks good as well.

When in doubt - even a little "gut feeling" -- pass - much less traumatic missing something that is what it was stated it is because another will come along-- should you buy something not good - you will own it forever unless you give it away or rip someone else off.

2 cents in general.

Here are examples of recently sold armors to compare quality and price.

The first is a chochin kabuto, kikko tatami dou gusoku which sold at a recent auction for $ 2,750 inc. premium without shipping, the second is a Hosokawa clan etchu zunari kabuto, hon iyozane dou gusoku which sold for $5000 including an armor box and shipping from Japan.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20983/lot/8602/

d1be049dd4600b308f8034028756cb4f.jpg

http://www.kinokuniya.tv/japanese_armor/box03/index.php

8a4a6a43b750c2bb83e51263d31964a4.jpg

Eric, agreeing with most of your points. But you have to admit, that the fetching prices of both armors are a bit "exceptionally". Don't you think :roll:

Uwe

Uwe, I agree with you, a beautiful seemingly matching kikko armor for that price??? Of course the extremely bad description by the auction house did not help the selling price, calling it a "kusari gusoku" when it should have been a "chochin kabuto, kikko tatami dou gusoku" may have lost the seller a lot of money. Then you have a complete Hosokawa clan "etchu zunari kabuto, hon iyozane maru dou gusoku" with an armor box delivered to your door for that price?? I think those prices are exceptional especially considering the extremely over inflated prices that we have seen lately of some Japanese armor auctions.

In reality though price wise not so unusual, tatami armor is just not as appreciated as conventional armor no matter how well made and how good the condition is, Hosokawa armor as well is not appreciated due to its very somber low key look, despite being one of the few types of armors were you can immediately identify the clan by the armor type and the incredible workmanship required to make a hon iyozane maru dou with its hundreds of individual leather covered scales but thats how the market is. Both of these armor were available for anyone to buy and I use the prices to show how extremely over priced the armors being shown in this thread are especially when you can not see any details including damage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..