opinion about a kabuto

Gilles

Dear all,

I acquired lately a kabuto from another collector for decoration purpose (I know nothing about those nice things beeing more a sword guy). He told me that it was refurbished some years ago and a shikoro dating from the 19 th century was reconnected to the bowl which was older. Thus , I asked to you, knowledgeable people what do you think about this kabuto ? Please have a look to the pictures below.

Thank you for your opinion.

PS : sorry for the dust visible on the pictures

post-48-1419688138172_thumb.jpg

post-48-14196881388232_thumb.jpg

post-48-14196881395448_thumb.jpg

post-48-14196881402092_thumb.jpg

I know the standard answer would be to ask this on the Nihon-no-Katchu forum that specializes in armour...but would be nice if they would also post any advice/answers here so that we too can learn about armour :)

Interesting. I am trying to learn more about Japanese armour, but to me it seems even more complicated than the swords, and I don't think my brain has the capacity.

Hopefully Ian B and our other armour guys will chime in. I had the privilege of viewing some fine examples of Myochin and Saotome kabuto this past Sunday at a sword meeting, but nothing like this. Looks like a hedgehog :rotfl:

Brian

I know the standard answer would be to ask this on the Nihon-no-Katchu forum that specializes in armour...but would be nice if they would also post any advice/answers here so that we too can learn about armour :)

Igabachi (igaguri) kabuto (kabuto with long spike rivets), thats my opinion, someone else may have a different term.

I noticed one the other day on the Bonhams auction with spikes.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21404/lot/1009/

Alex.

Hi all, the one at Bonhams is a "Saiga Bachi" a special type of kabuto and not to compare to the hachi Gilles posted. I agree with Eric, "koboshi bachi" (iga bachi) mid to late Edo period I guess.

Uwe

Giles, I'm afraid I cannot add anything much to what has been said except that the shikoro is a good fit and that the kuwagata dai looks to be very nice quality - shakudo mounts on armour are not that common. Ko-boshi bachi seem to have started in the 16th century, perhaps a bit later than the high sided suji bachi. My old friend Dr. Orikasa states that one was worn by Aoki Kazushige at the battle of Anegawa in 1570, and that one signed 'Joshu ju Yasushige' exists dated to 1572. These dates give us an idea of when they were introduced. Just why they were made and became fairly popular is a matter of contention. The mass of rivets added considerably to the weight, and this one has nothing like as many as some. Last weekend I handled a 62 plate helmet with 33 rivets per column and an extra row down the centre of the front plate. As has been said, yours has very exaggerated rivets and you wonder how they were supported to peen over the rivet inside. The smith must have had a number of rivet-sets to accommodate the different sizes of rivet. I like the fact they were called 'daikon oroshi' or radish graters by the vulgar. We know the Saotome, Haruta and Neo shools made them, as well as individuals such as Nagamichi. I don't think they made yours - it is a bit of an odd-ball. I know there is an image of a helmet somewhere with even longer rivets, but off-hand I cannot find it.

Ian Bottomley

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your explanations.

Dear Uwe : I am not an expert but I am quite positive that the kuwagata dai was added not a long time ago. the good point is that it is made of shakudo. I will post detailed pictures this week end.

Dear Ian : Thank you for all those details. I will check to see if this helmet is signed. This helmet is quite heavy due to all those pikes. If you want I can send picture of the inside.

Best regards,

Hi Uwe, i didnt point out the one on Bonhams as a match to Giles helmet :). Simply to point out the rivets/spikes, as they where noted above as a bit of a rarity.....

Alex.

Hi Alex, I know :) I only trying to say, that there are different types of kabuto with own characteristics. In case of Gilles hoshi bachi, this kind of long and slender rivets (hoshi) indeed are seldom seen!

Cheers

Uwe

Curious about the pics Gilles 8)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..