• 3 weeks later...

Technically, there are no shows. There are however some groups you can join in which you will get access to study and be able to see some good swords.

You can join the Toronto Token Kai via the JCCC http://www.jccc.on.ca I believe. Ken Noma is the president. The people involved in the TTK are great, they care about swords deeply.

Once there ask about the Rochester Study Group. I don't throw around compliments, that said, there are some very impressive skills available in this group. I brought them five good swords to kantei and they nailed all of them without too much fuss. Study is done as a group rather than as a gathering of individuals which is their spin on things, and I believe to be a very valuable learning tool.

I would be very cautious about joining up with anyone else, especially anyone who claims to be a "sensei" of some sort. Sensei who claims to be teaching you with one hand and selling you treasures with the other hand might be teaching you something important that is not what you think you are learning.

There is a very small set of swords displayed (poorly) at the Royal Ontario Museum. It is not worth a special trip but if you are walking by it's worth popping in to see.

Thanks for the info Darcy. I had always wanted to visit you when you were still selling swords but I never had enough money to be comfortable coming to see you cause I would most likely lust after something I could not afford. I should have bought something from you when I had the chance.I spend a lot of time in Yorkville so I have had many a chance to visit the ROM. Sadly...their displays are laughable. I appreciate the time it took for the reply.

I used to live in Malton! You wouldn't recognize the airport now. Its becoming exponentially larger as we speak. As for Yorkville, its changed quite a bit since the late 90s, no more Versace on Bloor St. No more Armani, most of the cigar shops I frequented are all gone, Cartier is the size of a shoe box, Bulgari is gone, Sassafraz burned... but at least you can still eat decent Japanese at Yamato. I would crumble and die without that place. How is your current location? "Artic Coast" sounds serene and peacefull.

Hi Val, Too much of both sometimes. Sailing makes up for it, 6 mos a year. Last time actually in TO 1974. Well the gentrification of urban areas was a fad as Yorkville is showing I guess. Anyhow back to nihonto, though nice to hear about the old stomping ground. Thanks, John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..