Kishu Teimei Tsuba - the beauty or the beast?

Higo-san

Some while ago, I started researching in Kishu Teimei tsuba. If people are interested in, I would be happy to share the theories I came across during my research and to learn what other people may have found out. For a start:

Kishu Teimei tsuba are regarded inferior with regards to quality in comparison to Kyoto, Owari or Akasaka tsuba made in the middle of Edo times. Nevertheless I noticed that in almost every big and famous collection Kishu Teimei pieces can be found. I was told that the better ones are those done in mokume style. These tsuba are comparable in quality to pieces done by the Myochin schools. But - when it comes down to Kishu Teimei tsuba - one should never spend a too critical eye to quality (at least if a certain - rather high - quality level is met), but to design.

Under this point of view, Kishu Teimei tsuba can be shortly described as simple but very effective when mounted on a sword. Those tsuba are not at all as fine and educated as e.g. Kyoto tsuba, but strong and clear in their message. Therefore some people believe, Kishu Teimei tsuba were mostly used by mercenaries who lived in the Yamato province. Others told me that these tsuba were (also) used by (warrior) monks in the monasteries of Yamato.

As you can see, there is a large discussion when it comes down to Kishu Teimei tsuba. What can be regarded as fact is that there are about two to five generations of masters who signed Sadanaga (or otherwise read Teimei) who have been trained by Hoan masters. I am curious if somebody in this forum has studied Teimei tsuba before and is willing to share his knowledge.

I did attach some scans from books and a Token Bijutsu issue which I am - unfortunately - unable to read. Any help would be much appreciated! If people are interested, I can also attach some photos of my (four ;) ) Kishu Teimei tsuba.

Many thanks for reading and I hope people will enjoy reading this post and maybe share a bit of my fascination about Kishu Teimei tsuba ;) .

post-4315-14196877735538_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877739027_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877743047_thumb.jpg

post-4315-1419687775002_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for your encouraging words, gentlemen!

I have attached pictures of one of my own Kishu tsuba (picture number 4 is very close to the real colour). It has the typical Kishu Teimei measurements of 8.2 cm diameter, a thickness of 0.5 cm and is signed Kishu Ju Teimei (紀州住貞命).

The design is called wachigai; it seems to be rather popular with Kishu Teimei masters (or at least one of them). As you can see, my tsuba resembles the one shown in the book in the very first picture. If somebody could assist with the translation, this may bring in some more light.

Chris

post-4315-14196877807421_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877817058_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877829246_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877834392_thumb.jpg

In Japan, collectors seem to like Teimei because of their association with the Kishu Tokugawa branch. It is one of the 3 main family branches. Teimei tsuba are very nice when mounted, often it seems they appeal to the Bushi taste. I have a few in my collection as well, and they are well made and fit Edo mounts to a tee!

Thank you very much for the translation, John! May I ask you to also give another look to the Token Bijutsu issues?

I have attached pictures of another Teimei tsuba in my own collection. It shows a Kaji (rudder) design.

Regarding kantei I would summarize the following criteria (for a start):

1) the sukashi is broader than those done in other schools

2) basically almost all Kishu tsuba are signed

3) the diameter is allways around 8cm; the thickness varies between about 0.45 and 0.55 cm

4) the iron has a slightly "greyish" touch

5) the design is simple and based on geometrical figures, stellar constellations, grops or everyday items; it can also be inspired by earlier Owari, Ko-Shoami or Kyo Sukashi designs.

post-4315-14196877872637_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196877878175_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Japan, collectors seem to like Teimei because of their association with the Kishu Tokugawa branch. It is one of the 3 main family branches. Teimei tsuba are very nice when mounted, often it seems they appeal to the Bushi taste. I have a few in my collection as well, and they are well made and fit Edo mounts to a tee!

Thanks alot for this interesting point, Mike (and John) :bowdown: ! I have not yet made a connection between the Kii Tokugawa branch and the Kishu tsuba since I allways thought that Kishu tsuba were almost only intended for use by a lower class of warriors.

I have a few in my collection as well, and they are well made and fit Edo mounts to a tee!

May I ask you about the motif of your tsuba (or even pictures ;) )? It would be interesting with regards to the catalogue of suggested kantei points.

Teimei tsuba have a very strong kaku mimi, fine granular surface (probably remnant of the Nobuiye influence) and a slight "flattish" shape for the faces. They are very consistant in these points. The NBTHK article states how they are under appreciated, even though they were working for the Kii Tokugawa directly, and from the Nobuiye School.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris K.,

After reading your nice topic about Kishu Teimei tsuba I am wondering about this tsuba that was once in my collection. Here is the URL: http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/holbrook-tsuba/h268-edo-tosho-tsuba. It was only signed with a single Kanji character sada (定). Very different then some of the examples you provide. The workmanship in terms of the openwork design, rim and overall size reminds me of Kishu Teimei school. I have better photos of the tsuba but wasn't going to post them as I no longer own the tsuba.

Hi David,

I can see your point! Nevertheless I do not believe that the tsuba seen in your link is a Kishu Teimei tsuba due to two main reasons:

1) the rim should be "sharper". Please compare your former tsuba to another sold tsuba from the very same site (http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.c ... 181-teimei); the last picture shows best what I meant.

2) the kanji used for Sada does not correspond to the ones used by Teimei masters.

Unfortunately I cannot judge from the pictures if the criteria regarding the iron surface (mentioned by Mike) are met. But you do definately have a point with regards to the design!

Any other opinions?

Best,

Chris

P.S.: What do you think about this one (http://www.silk-road.us/rings3.html)?

Since the question about kantei points came up, I wanted to post another Kishu Teimei tsuba with a sashigane design. I believe it was made by the first Teimei master because of the following reasons:

- the rim of the tsuba is still rather small and strongly reminds me of older Ko-Kyo sukashi tsuba

- there is plenty of granular tekkotsu on the rim and even some areas where I believe to see a technique called yakite (which is quite common on older tsuba from the Owari province but very rarely seen on later Kishu Teimei tsuba)

- the iron surface shows some - what I can only describe as - ko-nie particles; in general the iron quality is much better than on the other tsuba I posted (from my collection)

- the form of the hitsu ana (especially the kogai hitsu ana) reminds me of older sukashi tsuba

I am looking forward to your comments!

Chris

post-4315-14196878051987_thumb.jpg

post-4315-14196878057041_thumb.jpg

Hi David,

I can see your point! Nevertheless I do not believe that the tsuba seen in your link is a Kishu Teimei tsuba due to two main reasons:

1) the rim should be "sharper". Please compare your former tsuba to another sold tsuba from the very same site (http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.c ... 181-teimei); the last picture shows best what I meant.

2) the kanji used for Sada does not correspond to the ones used by Teimei masters.

P.S.: What do you think about this one (http://www.silk-road.us/rings3.html)?

Hi Chris,

Point taken about the rim. I was also thinking it was a bit on the thin side as well. I should have looked at Grey's website longer and found the perfect example from the Holbrook collection. I think the link to the tsuba at the Silk Road website is a good example as well.

Great tsuba, Mike! THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing these.

It is very interesting to see that many versions of Wachigai. Although some versions seem almost identical, the signatures differ alot. This allows two possible conclusions (under the assumption that no tsuba is gimei):

1) some of the tsuba are made by the very same person; but this person used a huge variety of writings. If this is true, a theory about only two generations of artists signing Kishu Ju Teimei would be possible.

2) the different Teimei artists worked very similiar; then a two-generations theory would - at least in my eyes - very hard to defend.

It would be interesting to have a genealogy of the Kishu school and the Teimei masters.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..