Shinsa! NTHK-NPO coming to Tampa In Feb., 2014!!!

Members:

With great pleasure I would like to officially announce that the NTHK-NPO, under the leadership of Miyano Teiji sensei, will once again be coming to the US to hold a shinsa February 21-23 at the Tampa Airport Marriott Hotel.. The event will take place in conjunction with the Tampa Sword Show, which is under the direction of Mr. Bill Green. I will also once again provide a mail in service for those unable to attend the event in person.

The NTHK-NPO is headed by Miyano Teiji sensei, one of the very top kantei experts in Japan. The NTHK-NPO has conducted several sold out shinsa in the US in the past, the most recent event was in Minneapolis in 2011. This group is highly regarded in Japan and is second only to the NBTHK in shinsa submissions every month. Miyano sensei and some of the other team members are getting up there in years and this may well be his last trip to the US.

Stay tuned for details which will be announced shortly.

Question, reservations, and further info concerning the shinsa may be directed to:

Chris Bowen

PO Box 99

Mt. Hope, WI 53816

608-994-2538

swords@ejapaneseswords.com

Questions regarding the show, table reservations, etc., should be directed to Mr. Bill Green at:

WILLIAM (BILL) GREEN

113A King Street, Saint Augustine FL, 32084

Office: 904.808.0662

Mobile: 904.347.3144

Email: SouthEastShows@hotmail.com

Bill has a flyer on his web site that provides show info here:

http://www.southeastjapaneseswordshowau ... tices.html

I will be updating my web page with further details shortly. Mark it on your calendar- this one should not be missed!

Hope to see you there...

--

Sincerely,

Chris Bowen

PO Box 99

Mt. Hope, WI 53816

swords@ejapaneseswords.com

Sure, I will be offering a mail in service. Shipping registered mail, I have never had a problem. Plus, you can insure for $20KUS. I will be posting details regarding prices and procedures next week....If you have any questions, email me privately at swords at ejapaneseswords.com

Thanks.....

Wow, I have been overwhelmed with the responses to the shinsa announcement so far!

I think this show is really going to be over the top....

I will be posting all the info on the shinsa later in the week....stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Members-

Just a quick reminder to make you reservations for the upcoming shinsa as time is flying by....Slots are reserved on a first come, first served basis, so if you are planning to submit item(s), it is better to send in your deposits and preferences sooner rather than later....I have been getting a steady stream of reservations so don't delay....

Thanks!

Must be a problem on your end as it works on every computer I have tried, and haven't had anyone else tell me it doesn't work....

If you want to paypal me, that is ok, but you will need to include paypal fees. PM me for details.

• 2 weeks later...

The way it works is as follows:

You are assigned a date and time which I will be sending people 4 weeks or so before the event, based on their preferences and date of registration (first come, first served). You bring the item to the shinsa room shortly (10-15minutes) before the appointed time, hand it over at the reception desk, and then come back to the shinsa room an hour to two later where you can pick it up and, if it passes, pay the shinsa fee. And you are finished.

Please email me for payment info, or if you have any other questions. Thanks!

They work in a rather small room preferably without distractions so while a look in the door is possible, there really isn't the space or desire for an audience. They work very hard with a great deal of focus and intensity. It's all business and is coordinated like clock-work in order to get the items through efficiently and safely.

I have to confess that I looked in on the nthk shinsa team in Minneapolis.... for an extended time... I tried to be as quiet and still as possible. The team didn't seem to even take notice of me, so I consider that a success! It was amazing to witness the attention and focus that they gave to each sword, considering the sheer volume of nihonto.

Derek

Also, they don't want people to see how quickly they look at the swords.

Really? Which shinsa team member told you that? I already know the answer- none of them, because it's complete bs.

As you have read above, people have stood and watched from the doorway. They weren't chased away because they didn't cause a distraction. But they don't want a visitor's gallery for the reasons I have already mentioned- they don't want any distractions and there are safety and security issues involved. They don't ask for the doors to be shut nor have they ever asked for people to be shooed away. They have never complained when people hung around the doorway and watched. They have even allowed pictures.

They do look at a lot of items. Most take 30 seconds at most to determine if they are good or not. That's what years of experience allows one to do. Mumei blades take longer and sometimes they will disagree and discuss something. In most cases, the less time they take, the better off you are.

I can only speak for the Minneapolis NTHK-npo shinsa, but I watched the team for many hours over 2 days, and I was never asked to leave, nor felt any pressure to not view the shinsa. Granted, I tried to be completely quiet and out of the way.

In my opinion, I was surprised by the amount of time the team spent on each blade. I expected them to take a moment on each one, then move on. In reality, each sword was given half a minute or more, handed to each judge for input, and some signatures checked against books.

Derek

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..