本 Hom 部 bu - Headquarters ?

Left hand side

陸 Riku 軍 gun - Land army?

曹 So 長 cho - Sergeant Major?

As always, open to corrections.

Regards

Mark

Just for your info Steve,

I have a good gendaito with silver habaki in Type 98 mounts made by an unknown smith Shigekuni.

It was surrendered on Halmahera Is. in the Netherlands East Indies (Moluccas) to the Australians in Sept. 1945.

It is surrender marked, but in English, and on the blade!

It is probably put on by the Japanese before he surrendered it. Written with a fountain pen just in front of the habaki you can see a few spots of ink still and the scratches made by the nib, It says:

"Surrendered by 2nd Lt. Kume

Kaede Div (Yellow Autumn Leaves) " (this means yellow/red maple leaves falling in autumn)

Made by Shigekuni"

I don't know anything about Lt. Kume or the Australian who received this sword. It was part of the general capitulaion of Japanese Forces.

The surrender was taken 11 Sept. 1945 by Major Philips AIF.

The Kaede Diviision was the 32nd Division consisting of the 210-211-212 Regiments. The Divisional commander was Lt. Gen. Yoshino and the command was under Col. Kosugi.

They were part of the 2nd Army (Lt. Gen. Teshima) of the Southern Army-2nd Area Army (Gen. Anami).

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Edit to add: I looked this Division up on wikipedia and it says that they surrendered to the 93rd US Division on 26th August 1945. As my info (with pics) comes from the Aust. War Memorial Archives and several of my uncles served on Morotai etc, there must have been perhaps a "major surrender" to the US and some "minor surrenders" to the Australians.

Hi Steve,

I'm the world's worst photographer but here goes... There are 3 lines written with a fountain pen.

On shinogi ji is written 1 line : "Sword of 2nd Lt. Kume" (I said "Surrendered by" in orig post which is wrong).

On ji in 2 lines is:

"Kaede Div (Yellow (Autumn) Leaves)"

"Made by Shigekuni"

Sorry for lousy pic.

Regards,

post-787-14196871350004_thumb.jpg

Just seeing if I get it right...not sure of army unit names.

RH column: NanTo No 38 Shidan ( Southeast 38th Division)

Middle: Endo Butai, Iwasa Tai (Endo's detachment, Iwasa's section)

LH his name: Sugie Seiichi. (or Shoichi).

38th Div was in Hong Kong, then Netherlands East Indies then Guadalcanal then Admiralty Is (Rabaul etc). This is probably where the sword was surrendered. The regiments were 228 Nagoya Regt, 229 Gifu, 230 Shizuoka. Had very heavy losses on Guadalcanal etc.

Hope this helps.

gidday there George and all,

yes, I seem to remember that we checked and actually contacted him on the option of returning the sword to the said Ltn??? Sugito back in about 1987 ???

and yes, he was still alive then and I think living in Nagoya from memory,

but was not really interested in the return of the sword, that he had purchased as a young officer, from an armament shop in Tokyo, before being mobilised and going away to the WW2 conflict,

but I don't know his status now unfortunately, but I do still have his sword and the tags.

regards

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..