Photos uploaded from cellphones rotated?

We saw a little of this recently, with people viewing photos correctly on their phones, but on the pc they are rotated sideways.
I just did a bot of research, and seems this is a common problem now that people are using their phones more and more as cameras and uploading them directly, or to the pc and then to forums.

One commenter said:
This issue occurs when you tilt the camera 90 degrees to take the picture in portrait mode. Cameras have decided to take the "easy way out" and store the image in native landscape format (which it is, since you tilted the camera 90 degrees), and then set the EXIF orientation bit in the resulting JPEG image in the hope that an application will do what the camera should have done in the first place (auto-rotate the image).

I guess it is something we are going to have to watch out for, as there is no fix yet, and no-one is sure whether a fix would have to happen in the forum, the browser or the cellphone :)

Just something to note.

Brian

Edit to add: The best solution to this is to edit the pic on your phone. Don't need to change anything, just click edit...make sure the pic is the right way around, and then save.
Then upload. Should maintain the orientation.
Same with pics that you take to your pc from the phone. Make sure they show the right way. On my own photos, I often find them rotated on the pc and need to rotate and save.
It is a cellphone thing, not a forum issue.

Archived