Baltimore Japanese Swords & Cultural Arts Show

Hi Everyone,

I am very pleased to announce the upcoming Baltimore Japanese Swords & Cultural Arts Show on September 20-22, 2013. Full details can be found on the following website: http://www.southeastshowsauctions.com/baltimore-2013.html. The show promoter and organizer is Bill Green the same person who did the 2013 Tampa Japanese Sword Show. Living about one hour from this show I am very excited and plan to attend three days of the show. :D

I often attend the Baltimore Antique Arms Show http://www.baltimoreshow.com/ in March this upcoming Japanese sword show is at the same location which is the Maryland State Fairgounds. Comments and questions are always welcome.

Hi Eric S.,

Thanks for the reply. I am very much looking forward to this show in our "backyard" as well. I do have somewhat of a schedule conflict with Sunday but I am planning pay a little bit more and attend the show from Thursday afternoon until Saturday evening.

I read wit interest the upcoming baltimore show for me its a hop skip and jump . 2 things were a bit questionable, about 1 month after san francisco i believe is a bit too soon, the other that was real toublesome was the cost of a table $250.00 which i feel is quite exhorbitant any one out there agree ? L.Kanarek MD

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

In my opinion the table prices are reasonable. On Friday I decided to purchase a table from Bill Green at the upcoming Baltimore Japanese Swords & Cultural Arts Show. I will have all the tsuba and other Japanese Art on my website (weblink below) at the show for September 20 and 21. I will also display something interesting recently purchased from Japan not listed on my website or NMB. I am very much looking forward to this show. Please feel free to contact if you have any questions. Thank you. :D

I will be seeing you guys there. For those not within driving distance, the price of the table is insignificant when you also have to buy plane tickets and rent a hotel room. If you are within driving distance, consider yourself lucky, and come out to the show. Many of the big guys are going to be there.

There are also expected to be many nubes (with cameras). Should be interesting.LOL That's how it all starts.

I plan on bringing a few swords, fittings and Microtech knives. If you are interested in anything in particular, please let me know, so I can make sure its there.

I am looking forward to walking around and seeing other good swords, along with taking in an event or two.

I had a chance to hear Bill talk about this show over dinner at the SF show. He had a lot of progressive ideas for the baltimore show, like inviting various martial arts clubs and Japanese cultural clubs to perform at slotted times, as well as choosing a famiily friendly venue (or at least, maybe the future events?). I think this will bring in a lot of new folks to a nihonto show. While they may not be big spenders, at first, he has a multi-year vision with the focus to get more people interested in nihonto collecting. Still, I can imagine some well-heeled martial arts practitioners or parents of such picking a few pieces, or at least getting website info from dealers and then buying around christmas.

This may make it more tedious/frustrating for regular dealers, since people will have "stupid" questions as well as similar comments of what they heard about nihonto. But I believe the idea is to make it less of a club gathering, and a more inclusive public event to introduce people into the world of nihonto through the use of Japanese culture. Make future collectors from people who are already interested in Japanese culture. Its pretty exciting if you think about it.

Hopefully the show will have ongoing intro workshops (nihonto and TOSOGU please) and proper handling guides and etiquette. Also hope the dealers don't get too upset with all the neophyte questions...probably best to think themselves as much nihonto ambassadors as dealers at this show, with the dividends expected in a few years time vs immediately.

I will be at the show on Saturday for the day and possibly Sunday as well.

I will have several swords from my collection with me including several tsuba and sets of menuki. Some of these items will be for sale and other items just for study.

If anyone is interested in an advanced list of the items, please contact me via PM here and I will be sure to connect with you at the show.

Thanks,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Attached is a press release flyer sent to me as a vendor for the upcoming Baltimore Japanese Swords & Cultural Arts Show on September 20-22, 2013. I am very much looking forward to having a great show. I will have most of my collection at the show on display. The exception will be two tsuba being appraised at the NBTHK in Japan. Please PM or reply if you have any questions.

Press release 2 for lfyer.pdf

Hopefully the show will have ongoing intro workshops (nihonto and TOSOGU please) and proper handling guides and etiquette. Also hope the dealers don't get too upset with all the neophyte questions...probably best to think themselves as much nihonto ambassadors as dealers at this show, with the dividends expected in a few years time vs immediately.

Dam, I hate answering a bunch of stupid questions... But, you are right.

The 'Incessant Question Askers' are a unique breed, versus the 'Finger F--kers'; they are the ones who don't say a word, but touch everything on your table. I have done enough of these Market/Trade shows to realize these people are indeed two different sub species. It is actually funny to watch.

I think most people don't even realize you can buy a real Samurai Sword, and if they did, they would not mind having one.

I believe Bill is having a mandatory etiquette class for Nubes, BTW.

I believe Bill is having a mandatory etiquette class for Nubes, BTW.

Hi Jon,

Thanks sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Hi Everyone,

For everyone attending the show I will have more than just what is display on my website. I will have three tsuba listed for sale on a consignment basis. I am doing this to help out a friend and fellow collector to reduce this collection and purchase something new. Here is the list with basic information provided by the owner.

1. Late Edo Period, Ko-dai Akasaka Tsuba

2. Edo Period, Higo Ji-Sukashi Tsuba

3. Middle Edo Period, Akasaka Tsuba with NTHK Papers to Akasaka and a Hakogaki attribution to Akasaka Tadamasa

Hi Everyone,

I hope to see as many people as possible at the show. I will try to take a few photos and post them after getting permission. I am packing things up now for the show. I will be bring my whole collection minus two tsuba in Japan for NBTHK shinsa. A fair bit of work this evening after my day job ends. :D

P.S. My table number is 23. I will be sharing it with Eric S. a local member of NMB.

EDIT: there are only 15 URLs allowed per post, so this is going to be split up a bit.

Hello everyone. I had a great time at the show today. I got to meet a lot of people for the first time, and people were very generous with sharing their items and answering questions.

I have to give a special word of thanks to Grey Doffin & Mark Jones, who sold me something I've always wanted, a cloisonné Hirata school tsuba (ex Skip Holbrook, labeled Hirata II with pine bark mon & sea life shippo). I have posted the photos of that to the tosogu section, but below is a small preview to entice you. ;)

Hirata%20Crop.jpg

Lighting conditions on the floor were good enough for viewing, but terrible for photography – not enough light, bad mix of color temperatures, etc. I did the best I could, but I only have a selection of decent examples. Rather than post them all here, I have created an Imgur album which I'll reference sequentially.

---

David Stiles had a lot of good tsuba and other fittings. He had an interesting highly intricate sukashi tsuba which he thinks may have had a hidden Christian cross, or cross-influenced design, incorporated into it. One thing that caught my eye was a very nice kogai with a high relief vajra in gold on copper. This photo doesn't do it justice at all.

Had a great conversation with Matthew Brice and he shared some nice blades, koshirae, and even surprisingly good production swords. He also introduced me to the quirky world of WWII theater knives; some had grips with aluminum, window glass, and other makeshift materials. Took some photos but they weren't worth uploading as I hadn't dialed in my settings by that point.

Jon O. Healy of onihonto.com had a Reisen Sadamori that caught my eye, formerly featured on Darcy Brockbank's site. It had a beautiful sedate jihada and hoso suguba hamon.

Bob Benson's table was great as you might expect. Some amazing saya lacquer, and a Hizen Tadahiro daisho. The workmanship on both blades was exceptionally refined. It made for a striking contrast between the flamboyant and gorgeous soshu-den hitatsura katana right next to it (I think Mr. Benson said it was Tsunahiro, but to be honest I don't remember).

Andy Quirt deserves special mention for letting me inspect literally every blade at his table, and a number of very high-end fittings as well. He was inviting and it was a privilege to view works like a Ko Senjuen tachi from early Kamakura, fantastic shobu-zukuri Yamashiro Nobukuni formerly owned by the Mori Daimyo, and many other interesting works which maybe did not command such high prices but had very interesting details. An Edo Hojoji katana had a gunome hamon but it looked suguba because of the nie between peaks, and there was another blade (I forget by whom) which was positively peppery with nie.

I was so wrapped up in the exercise of viewing swords that I didn't even try to take a photo. But I did capture some of the fittings. Mr. Quirt told me a heartbreaking story of how the owner of the sho tsuba to this dai tsuba withdrew it from auction, and then wouldn't entertain offers. One thing I've noticed and now experienced with high-quality migaki (mirror) finish shakudo plate is that it looks extraordinary in person, but fails utterly to communicate that beauty in photos.

I forget whose table had this sumptuous koshirae, but it was worth a few snaps – likewise this tachi with mother-of-pearl inlays on shakudo.

SECOND POST OF TWO (to circumvent URL limit)

---

Honestly there were tons of other blades and fittings from many friendly people, too many of whom I forgot to take a card. I met Patrick Hastings and he had some interesting steel fittings in various stages of patination / non-patination. I bought a copy of Slough's "Modern Oshigata" book from Chuck Cillo at a good discount. Someone had a PERFECT jumonji yari in fresh polish from Moses B, with tiger stripe shirasaya to boot... one of those things I've always wanted.

One last craziness I spotted on my way out was an 1866 nagamaki, which in addition to the normal naginata-esque change in tsukurikomi partway down the blade, had a SECOND geometry change in the tip section to become moro-ha! Never seen that before; thanks to Mark Jones for showing it to me.

There was so much more that I simply didn't have time for, but it was a good event. I was discouraged to see so few attendees, but it is a Friday and a new location, so hopefully the weekend will bring more people.

If I failed to mention someone I met, especially if (like most people) you graciously let me handle your collection, I apologize. It was a lot to take in in a day.

Everyone who can do so, go visit! :thumbsup:

—GLL

Hi Everyone,

2:00 AM and can't sleep as a specific tsuba is on my mind. Tomorrow is my last day at the show. I will let any two tsuba go for $1,200 cash with exception the set of consignment tsuba and the Momoyama Period Christian Nanban tsuba which has a new cash price of $1,200 down from $1,500.

P.S. Gabriel L. thanks for the wonderful write up. The kogai has already sold from my table. :)

Hi guys,

Just back from the show. Very disappointing turnout; can't imagine why more didn't attend. I heard a lot of complaining that sales were slow but Mark and I did great. I got to meet customers to my website who I knew only from email; that was a treat (my customers are the nicest people on earth). I bought 4 tsuba I love, an osoraku zukuri tanto with koshirae, and half a ton of books. Could have done without the Taiko drumming 20' from our tables; made haggling over prices quite challenging. Here's some pictures.

The 1st is 2 blades in a glass case at Dale Garbutt's table. Etchu Norishige (Juko Token) and Bizen Motoshige (Tokubetsu Juyo Token). After that is a picture of the restrained Goto koshirae of the Motoshige (wink). Andy Quirt at his table, David Bond from Toronto at his booth, and Bob Benson's daughter at their table.

Grey

post-23-14196880112937_thumb.jpg

post-23-14196880114281_thumb.jpg

post-23-14196880115423_thumb.jpg

post-23-14196880117015_thumb.jpg

post-23-14196880118257_thumb.jpg

Gabriel, I do not even remember you taking that photo. But, I can clearly see my hand in the background, so I know I was there. I must have been under the hypnotic spell of the Taiko Drummers:)

There were some of the finest nihonto I have ever seen at a Sword Show, thanks to Dale, Bob and Andy, among others.

The show was slow and definitely a buyers market.

Cannot blame this on Bill. He did a good job with advertising, including a TV interview and billboard. I can also see the logic of having the show at the utilitarian Timonium Fairgrounds to make it more accessible to the public.

Unfortunately, the public was fickle.

In the future, I think Japanese Sword Shows should be held in a more prestigious setting than this shows humble trappings.

In the end, I ended up buying a nice little tanto for a good price, so not a total loss.

In summation, "you should have been there", even if just to support your hobby.

Hi Everyone,

I think it was a good show and I was able to break even money wise. I traded/sold two tsuba, kogai, koshirae, and katana stand. I have five new tsuba added to my collection as well as a Japanese art book. The tsuba range in age from the late Muromachi Period to the late Edo Period. From what I heard the attendance wasn't great but I do hope they have another show next year. There is a photo of my table setup on Friday. :)

post-1126-14196880358828_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..