Opinions of WW2 type 98 officers sword please!!!

Hello Guys im new here,but i have been collecting WW2 Japanese swords for about 2-3 years so im not an expert but i do love that style and era of swords,anyways i have this Kanenori with strange markings all over,soldiers name in tassel,all details in Japanese and english on surrender tag,signed scabbard,all round the sword is mint condition,i was told as the tang does not have star stamp it would be gendaito and the nagoya stamp means it was forged at there arsenal factory and not at his private forge,from what i can read on the english side it belonged to an officer in the flight regiment i was told he would have been training pilots,and may explain why his sword is in such mint condition,its basiclly un-used all round,anyways i would like to get some people's opinion's on this piece,like value,quality,how rare? i have not seen another type 98 like mine for sale anywhere,and im fairly sure i may have something of some value,well i did pay quite a bit for it of course,but your thoughts would be nice,thank you please dont be to harsh on me im only new here,i had to chop and change image size to upload but they should still be clear enough,cheer's

Julian

post-4541-14196865184992_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196865193071_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196865201067_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196865213903_thumb.jpg

Hi Ozzy_the_samurai,

Please sign all of your posts. Your sword is really in mint condition. Kanenori is correct. It was made in January 1943 (18+1925). Can we please see some close up, focused pictures of the hamon? We are looking for possible activities in the hamon, specifically the presence of nie.

Regards,

Hoanh

This sword was made by, Kojima Kanenori. According to Slough, this type of Signature was done by a Seki name cutter. The Na stamp only signifies that it came through the Nagoya arsenal. Not that it was made there. Kanenori, made Gendaito and Showato. His Showato, are the most prevalent. As this sword was not signed by Kanenori himself, I think that it is most likely a Showato.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys, a bit long between visit's but i thank you for the information on this sword Kanenori type 98, i do believe its fairly good and rare looking sword,i will put some better images up soon of blade,it appears to have a stright hamon very visible through whole blade,im also going to see what you guys think this other sword i have, apparently its dated back to 16th century and it has a matching war banner that match's the mon on the swords handle,the banner is very very old and frail i believe its silk and about 2 meter long i was told it was flown by riders on horse back back in the clan days,the blade also appears to be slightly thinner and more of calvary style blade?well the width its slightly less then others i have,but im told the banner and the blade are of same era 16th century,the blade is unsigned i was told they didnt start to sign blade until mid to late 16th or early 17th?? im far from an expert but i like to collect rare military swords,the hamon is like none others i have seen,its mounted in type 98 fittings,but has the original wooden scabbard made for that blade with leather cover looks to have been modified for war mounts and then covered with leather,anyways i will put a couple images of it on now and some better images when i take it out of the safe again,

Julian

post-4541-14196866897421_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196866916187_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196866922117_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196866931007_thumb.jpg

post-4541-14196866939906_thumb.jpg

Judging by the last pic there I'd say 16th c. sounds about right. Looks like an echizen seki school blade from the Shinto period. Can you photograph the Nakago?

Hey mate im sorry im not very knowledgeable in those Japanese terms, by Nakago do you mean tang? im not 100% sure but if you explain it to me i can get images of it for upload, im sorry guys im not an expert but im willing to learn,as i said i just like military swords from that era WW2 and with the little knowledge i have i use to hunt out some piece's i would consider a little bit more rare then the average type 98's,thanks guy's

Julian

They have been signing these swords since the 1100's and maybe before...so that isn't the reason.

Check the FAQ section above for possible reasons.

Btw..to correct your first post, the star stamp would have indicated it was traditionally made, not the other way around.

Brian

Yes the Nakago is the tang. The blade looks like it's in pretty good shape and still in decent polish. Looks like a good buy for the right price.

Cheer's mate i will get it out and take some close up images of both sides of tang,and yes the blade appears to be in good shape,its straight,fairly light in wieght,has some very minor pitting around top 2-3cm of blade on both sides of the tip area,but apart from that and 1 tiny nick to edge its in pretty good shape,still very sharp,no stains has a few minor scratch's but for any blade that has seen war you would expect that,thanks guy's for the info on both these swords,

i may have another one in a few weeks,i have seen the same sword in gregory's sword book, a type 98 with ray skin wrapped scabbard,like the skin off the ray's back,so it has un-usual pattern like white & green skin,it looks to be the exact sword in the book too,exactly same pattern in skin which would be very very hard to do twice i would imagine,its a high end type 98,signed and surrendered i was told that is was surrendered by a high ranking officer its very hard to try and get him to part with it,but im trying as always it comes down too the $$$,this guy is where all my high end stuff comes from in his private collection here in Australia i drive and collect them as he lives 2 hours away,but has so many high end rare swords im amazed at the effort he went to to hunt them out over the years,he has been collecting for over 40 years,he got many direct from Vet's as he is retired now and down sizing a bit,so each sword has its own intersting story,where it came from,by who and what not,thanks guy's

They have been signing these swords since the 1100's and maybe before...so that isn't the reason.

Check the FAQ section above for possible reasons.

Btw..to correct your first post, the star stamp would have indicated it was traditionally made, not the other way around.

Brian

Thank you Brian,i appreaciate all the help and information from you guy's im glad i finally joined this site instead of just reading from it,thanks again

Julian

• 5 years later...

hello,Im new to here, I just see sword and come here. 

do you want to give it back to real owner?

I think you wish you can, because there is specifific name, adress in Japnaese. I can read it because Im Japanese. 

You can take it to Japanese embassy and they will seach way to give it back to Mr. Ito.

Because I think this is one of Akaba-sword. It is taken by American soldiers when Japanese surrenderd.

There is paper which have a lot of information, because American promise to Japanese that American take it back when some time pass.

American took 1~500,000 of swords, but they just give back 5,000 swords to Japanese. a lot of swords taken by American soldiers.

so If you give it back, your decide will be make people's impression more.

sorry to you read this poor writing to here.

If u love sword, you can understand how important Japanese think about sword. 

Japanese had hairloom sword, but it gone ever. how disserpaird!     

<( _ _  )>  <(God bless you!)

post-4649-0-98852800-1537024947_thumb.jpg

post-4649-0-36908000-1537024963_thumb.jpg

post-4649-0-31190100-1537024975_thumb.jpg

I see this was posted 5 years ago, and just moved to this forum, so comments to the original people invovled probably aren't necessary, but for the sake of new readers that might happen along, I'll add that the first gunto at the top is likely showato, as the guys already pointed out. While there is some debate about arsenal stamps simply being acceptance stamps, most evidence indicates that their presence also means "non-traditionally made."

• Like 1

Hello Shigeru, 

i understand your intend, but this sword can never go back to Japan. And the second is, that Japanese love thier swords thats true, but they sell it all over the world to other people who loves it too. 

Btw, most of the Japanese people don't wont to remembered that cruel times of nationalism (like the germans). The gunto is a typical weapon of this period.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..