American polisher... Eric Roush

Almost 2 years ago I sent 4 swords to Eric Roush for polishing (his fee Paid up front like those in Japan). I understand that he is not popular with some, but he completed a test blade that I sent him in a timely manner that met my requirements so I sent him 4. Within 6 months he sent back the first of the 4 blades and I was satisfied with the work. However it has now been over a year since I had received this blade. 6 months ago I emailed him and after many emails he replied he would get the 2nd blade to me in a week. Week came and went; Blade never arrive. Again after repeated emails on my part I received a reply on April 1, 2013 stating that he would send out the 2nd (as Shinto blade of some worth) in a week and get the remaining 2 to me ASAP. It is now the 21st of April and still no 2nd blade. What ticks me off is that he continues to ignore my emails directed to him or to his site as well as the many phone calls that I have made to him asking when he is going to honor his promise of sending out the 2nd blade. Is there anyone out there that is in touch with Eric or can provide a good phone # that he answers so I can resolve this Problem with him without resorting to a lawyer and the California courts. I have no problem with his work. The problem revolves around his repeated failure to send this 2nd blade as promised and his treatment of ignoring the calls and emails :bang: :bang: :bang: of a customer that actually respects his work. Everett Thomas (silverfox2965)

His website registrant details are blocked.

But......if you know your way around a bit...

Registrant:

Takonomakura Restorations

330 pelton ave

santa cruz, CA 95060

US

Domain Name: TAKONOMAKURARESTORATIONS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact: ejroush@yahoo.com

Takonomakura Restorations

330 pelton ave

santa cruz, CA 95060

US

Brian

I'm currently assisting another member with retrieving a sword from Mr.Roush. I had a friend in California ready to swing by his home address but he wasn't there and didn't answer his phone.

Not sure how to continue from here..

Sadly, I have a similar story that I didn't want to talk about until I got my second of two blades back. He sent the first back in four months and two years later (after he initially said 3-4 months for both) I got the second one. TERRIBLE communication and I got to the point where I called and e-mailed and said if I don't get my sword back in 2 weeks, I'll have to consider it stolen and engage law enforcement. Surprisingly, after that my sword was finished quickly (3 more months :doubt: ).

I guess I had to learn the hard way about using a less than professional amateur.

FYI;

Bought a nicely mounted tachi from Eric, several years back; and met him in person for the transaction and sale. Perfect and professional encounter. Had a second sword of interest a year later, again, met him in person; but this time it was not want I wanted, so passed on it.

Bottom line, in the world we live in, you must cover your bases, and know what and who you are dealing with; and most of all, how to handle the situation, as well as how to prevent any problems.

I always deal with those individuals that I can get a face to face contact with, know where they live, and would be willing to drive and be on their doorstep, for a resolution of a conflict.

Gary ,

In a perfect world what you state would be obvious , however there is very few nihonto for sale where I live so have to resort to internet transaction to secure objects of interest. I did my home work to some degree (I now know this was not enough) before dealing with Eric Roush privately not through E-bay . Despite many many promise's 9 months later I still do not have my sword. He has proven to be hugely un-reliable ,a very poor communicator and to boot an out and out liar. I will state that I will never deal with him again and sugguest that others aviod him like the plague as only greath can come from any assoication.

Everett I would strong sugguest that you get the law involved ,as it would seem that this is the degree of motivation that Eric needs, Sad but I feel we can only put up with so much from this guy. I will pm you on another matter.

Chris

Six or seven days ago I posted a problem in communication with, and the return of competed work by the American Polisher Eric Roush. Mind you, there was no complaint about his work. Well three days ago I received a call from Eric asking me for my address. He stated that the Shinto was done (the grade of polish asked for) and he needed to confirm my address. He also stated that he believed he could complete Blade # 3 (My uncle's blade taken in the battled for Saipan) within a few weeks and finish #4, the last, in a month. I guess it took my complaint on this Forum to light a fire under him. For that I am thankful. I do want to give Eric credit for his work on this Shinto Blade. He met my expectations and then some more. The blade is beautiful. I am looking forward to receiving the last 2 from Eric in the near future and will let the Forum know what transpires. Thank You Forum, Everett Thomas

IMHO id say please send all swords back, if as you state blade of some vaule....STOP.. dont polish send back. if you have to go state side use Bob Benson or have Chris Bowin send to Nippon. when well we ever learn, No short cuts in Nihonto!!!

Every sword I have seen polished by him has foundation issues and a frosty appearance in the ji (not utsuri)..

I would check everything by him using the a low watt light bulb to check for dips in the foundation.

Just my .02

BTW, I hope everybody gets their blades back!

Really Thomas his work is horrible, you should not insist so much to have your blades polished by him. :dunno:

In the best case you have a low quality polish, in the worst your sword is ruined forever.

But I guess it is also a matter of taste...

Bruno,

I don't think it's just personal taste.

I believe these relics deserve to Be treated well and should be polished

By someone who is properly trained so they are preserved properly for future generations.

I'm not overly experienced yet and I can tell his work when I see it.

Just my .02

Worth what it cost you.

Gentlemen,

Not wanting to interfere with a discussion if it has value or adds infomation but dont you think we have gone round the block several times on this subject? I have no experience of this person or his work however a quick search on the board will leave no one in doubt as to what the majority think and their experience of buying services from him.

Repeating and discussing how bad his work is does little to add to peoples knowledge. As with swords you dont learn about swords by studying bad ones you learn by studying the best, likewise to understand the quality of a polish you need to look at the best quality and understand what makes it the best then you can determine how good or otherwise others work is.

Aloha, all:

One of my sword society board members had a run-in with Eric last July. He was sold an alleged "Japanese Sword papered, Exquisite Mounts, Senjuin Takada School," but the blade was definitely not what was advertised. The sword was returned immediately, & Eric then listed it on eBay, but didn't refund the payment until I got personally involved as president of our sword club. Eric made the refund fairly quickly after that, but I cautioned him about making future sales in Hawaii unless everything was "pristine."

It was obvious that Eric had floated the sale of the blade & didn't have the money to refund, so that's another thing to watch for if you buy anything from Mr. Roush.

Ken

Basically what I was concerned about was the care and protection of a clients property whether it be cash or goods. Failure to return property when expected by a client in a timely manner hurts not only the client but the contractor as well. You can be the best polisher in the world, but fail in your duty to return items and you will find that eventually word gets out and no one will be willing to take the chance of a future mishap. I still have 2 swords out with Eric. Eric says that work is almost completed on these and I should have them within a month. My Shinto blade was returned as promised with the grade of polish I asked for and I am pleased with the work (my 2 cents worth). I expect Eric to keep his word to me about the last 2 blades. Only time will tell. I will keep the Forum posted. Thank You, Everett

I also am waiting to receive 3 swords back from Eric. He has had them for well over a year. When I told him to stop working on them and refund me my money, he would not answer any of my many calls and emails. :steamed: Finnaly two months ago he emailed me and said he would be done with my swords and have them back to me in three weeks. But I am still waiting. I just want him to send them back untoutched with a refund for the work for their restorations. But I know that will never happen. I am talking with a friend of mine that is a lawyer who is good friends with one not too far from Eric. I will keep you all posted.

Frank R.

The basic rule applies. treat everything you are dealing with as valuable and do nothing which might damage it unless you know exactly what it is and what you are doing.

The point I was trying to make is your choice of polisher should not be based on what you can afford. It is better to do nothing than to send it to a polisher who is not qualified to assess or work on it, but happens to be cheap. A good polisher will tell you whether what you have warrants the expense or not. Once you have accurate information you can decide what to do.

The point I was trying to make is your choice of polisher should not be based on what you can afford. It is better to do nothing than to send it to a polisher who is not qualified to assess or work on it, but happens to be cheap. A good polisher will tell you whether what you have warrants the expense or not. Once you have accurate information you can decide what to do.
With the possible exception of the last sentence - since there are occasionally collectors/dealers who have that knowlege themselves - Paul's statement sums up everything there is to say about polishing Japanese swords. The only problem is that people who don't know squat about swords often think they belong to the "last-sentence-exception".

• 1 month later...

From all the posts he probably has a couple of dozen blades he doesn't own and God knows where he may end up if he decides to take off - Anyone have any buddies with the hells angels near his place that could drop in.

From all the posts he probably has a couple of dozen blades he doesn't own and God knows where he may end up if he decides to take off - Anyone have any buddies with the hells angels near his place that could drop in.

:laughabove:

He has A sword of mine that was promised to be finished over a month ago :steamed: :bang:

If I lived close I would be very temped to see how 8 years of martial arts would work :lol:

As he currently has e-bay listings , will bombard him with questions. Just maybe he will get sick of me.

Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..