I this a joke?

one of those Nara school signed piece, if it passes shinsa it may worth the asking price.............

don't forget someone linked a " Masayuki " f/k from a Japanese site ( don't think it has NBTHK paper , not sure )and the asking price is in excess of 400000 yen

milt the ronin

These are a tuffy -- there aren't any references in the Kinko Meikan or Wakwayama for the mei so it's difficult to say if it is gimei or not. Without papers it's a tough call although I have to wonder if someone would go to the trouble of doing this level of workmanship to produce a gimei of an other than top level name? The modulation of the patina on the kashira and the silver work is very nice. However, the price is a bit, as my freind Mo would put it, 'strong'. Just my two inflation adjusted cents.

OK -- now I found it. It's under Eizui, pg. 39 in the new meikan (same pic as posted above). I had looked in Haynes under Hideyuki and couldn't find a link. Looks close but I'd have to defer to a shinsa team from here. I believe there are better pics on the Yakiba.com site -- see consignment.

Saw this post and if you look you will see it was marked down quite a bit from the owners original asking price, which is still shown on the "consignment" page of my site.

The F/K is high quality craftsmanship without a doubt. I know that it came from the estate of an long term antique dealer whom had lived in Japan post war. These were the items he had chosen to keep for himself. Most of the fittings and the Noh Masks on the "consignment" pages are from this estate.

Is the mei good ?? Is it worth the asking price ??

If papered to this smith then, yes I think it would be considered a good buy.

However, all of our opinions and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee almost anywhere. The ONLY way to be relatively sure is to submit it to shinsa :shock: .

Along the lines of what Grey said, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

I never get involved with what a person wants to list a consignment item for.

My thought is, "The market will dictate the price".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..