Seni Show 2007 London Pictures

Finally had time to process some pictures of the London Seni show 2007.

The show was very busy and at times it was difficult to even get close to the stand. The catalogue showing the work of Ono Yoshimitsu were flying off the shelves. Yoshimitsu san did a very nice personalised caligraphy in the front for every single person who purchased it. I also got an opportunity later to handle both blades Ono Yoshimitsu had brought and they were nothing short of spectacular.

It was also very interesting to see Abe Kazunori demonstrating polishing and he was keen to check out swords people had brought in to show him. I had an interesting conversation with his son Soichiro about favourite swordsmiths (he was a Bizen man).

Paul Martin had brought with him high quality uchiko, Fujishiro oil, microdear cleaning cloths, tamahagane, kogatana and much more.

I would also like to extend my gratitude to Paul Martin for his hard work in organising such an excellent event.

IMG_0318.JPG

Ono Yoshimitsu, Abe Kazunori, Soichiro Kazunori

IMG_0320.JPG

Soichiro san hard at working polishing

IMG_0321.JPG

Forging demonstration

IMG_0324.JPG

Kazunori san using fingerstones on a suriage wakizashi

IMG_0335.JPG

Abe Kazunori/Soichiro Kazunori and the UK polisher Tony Norman

IMG_0342.JPG

Yoshimitsu san inspecting a blade someone had brought to show him

Peter,

Thanks for the write-up and the pics. I was hoping someone would come through with some info. Looks like it was a big success. Can you give us some info on Tony Norman (who you refer to as a UK polisher?)

Anyone else make it there, and who would like to give us additional info?

Did you manage to get your piece of tamahagane, and what do they go for nowdays?

Brian

Tony Norman is as far as I know is the only polisher in the UK who is fully traditional. People in the past have recommended him to me but he has a very long waiting list. After talking with Tony I was deeply impressed by his dedication/knowledge and I would have no hesitation sending a blade to him.

I got a nice big piece of tamahagane, cost me £25 :)

On the Monday after the show we visted the British museum with Ono Yoshimitsu and Abe Kazunori. This was due again to Paul Martins hard work. Here we got to handle some of the finest Koto bizen blades in the British museum collection, including a tanto by the teacher of Masamune.

Peter, thankyou for your report. I believe the event was a major success. As in the Yoshihara exhibition in the US Paul is one of the few organisers that can pull something off as major as this, as an Englishmen he impressed me by personally involved in promoting swords in 3 continents in a big scale with originality.

Due to a photography assignment (I was shooting a burlesque evening) I couldnt make it but I wish I went just to do the photos.

The BM has one of the best nihonto collection in the country including I believe the Royal family's. I had the privelage to see them in the backroom soon after they were returned from polishing a few years ago and again Paul did the preperation, the Shintogo Kunimitsu tanto I recall a very unique blade, notice some of them werent put on display during the Cutting Edge exhibition the following year, maybe too special?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..